Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Improving screen recording performance?

Hey,

So, I've been having some major sound sync issues with my screen recording program (recording computer games (full-screen) + system sound + microphone). I found out that it's due to my HDD set-up!

Basically, (I'll have to edit when I get home) I use my main storage drive of RAID 1 2 x WD5000AADS (caviar green) as my default windows TEMP folder and most of my games are also on that drive. I changed the TEMP folder to the one on my Agility 2 SSD and did a test recording of a SC 2 replay while chatting. My results were no more audio lag! This is exactly what I want, except that I don't want to write to my SSD that often, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've decided not to buy another 3 sticks of RAM to use as a temp folder since this will effect my voltages w/my over-clock. I'm now wondering what is the best option? Will any HDD be fine since it will be pretty much dedicated to my video recording program? Should I get something fast like a velociraptor? What about Newegg.ca - Kingston SSDNow S100 SS100S2/16G 2.5" 16GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) this as I don't care if I kill it faster, or will it die too fast?

Any thoughts on what read/write speeds are needed (sequential vs random, 4k vs 512k) and how big the impact of just having a spare drive, that isn't doing anything else, will be?
Old January 24, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If power consumption isn't a concern, get one of those dirt cheap Hitachi Deskstars, 500GB/1TB. Your drives should be fast enough, as well as your system. I think your drives just can't handle the IO of running and recording the game at the same time, since they were designed for storage. I would put the games on the 7200RPM drive though. (and then use one of the Greens as backup and the other for video capture)
Old January 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just a thought... Most motherboards have two SATA controllers, would it make sense to have the "recording" HDD on a different controller?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahhh, sswilson, the controller *shouldn't* matter as long as they aren't on the same channel (you can have 1 master and 1 slave per channel) afaik.

So, ilya, you do think that any drive will do the trick and I don't need something fast? (as I could only test my SSD as a 2nd drive since my external HDD is toooooo slow) I know that people say that you need two HDDs for FRAPs to run properly (but I've never asked how they use both HDDs together/separate).

Well, I guess I'll grab a used 150GB velociraptor off someone on HWC and put games on that and keep the temp folder for my system as the 500GB RAID array? (I purposely bought a 2nd drive to have a RAID 1 array as my external HDD backs up my other computer too)