Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2011, 01:01 PM
Rookie

Default Recovering data from a failing drive

The second drive (i.e., not system drive) on my older system is failing. It is a Seagate ST3250823A, 350 gig. It's the drive where I 'store' files for long-term purposes, but stupidly didn't actually back it up. So if it goes, so does a lot of data.

I've been considering using DiskPatch to clone the drive and the iRecovery for file rescue, both at DIYDataRecovery. But iRecovery can also do a disk image as well. My thread about this is here, along with the data from their analysis log and smart check.

My concern is that there may be only one more chance to run the drive and so I want to choose an approach or software that will have the best chance of success as a starting point for file recovery. Oh, yes, the CD-rom drive no longer works, so I'm using a diskette to run the tool. It's not USB-bootable.

The system in question is a Dell 8250, Win XP, 1 gig ram. The system drive is also of questionable health. At this point I just want to ensure that I can get the data off the second drive and then I will scrap the system.

Right now the system is working fine, but it does become unresponsive at times recently. I'm wondering if I should move the second drive to my newer system (specs below) for the cloning or is that risky for the drive.
Old January 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would move the drive to a stable system with fast cpu for the cloning. I would boot up and clone the drive and hope to hell it worked the first time. Acronis is a good choice.
Old January 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would pull the drive to a stable system as Perineum said.

If you can't directly copy the data over (missing, corrupt, etc).. try TestDisk for file recovery - I have used it for years on bad drives and have had recoverys from disks other programs fail to recognize.

TestDisk - CGSecurity

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 21, 2011, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I would move the drive to a stable system with fast cpu for the cloning. I would boot up and clone the drive and hope to hell it worked the first time. Acronis is a good choice.
Thanks, I'm thinking this might be a good time to start praying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
If you can't directly copy the data over (missing, corrupt, etc).. try TestDisk for file recovery - I have used it for years on bad drives and have had recoverys from disks other programs fail to recognize.
I'm sure I won't be able to directly copy the data, so I'll have a look at TestDisk. Thanks.