Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2011, 12:11 AM
Rookie

Default RAID on mismatched drives equal lost unusable space?

I have 2 different sized drives: 1TB and 500GB that I want to setup RAID 1 on using the on-board Intel P55 RAID. I know that this is probably not recommend and I don't mind the performance issues and I just want to mirror data.

So do I lose the left over space of 500GB from the 1TB drive when I setup a 500GB RAID 1 or can I set up the left over space on its own partition?

I also want to know if a RAID 1 mirrored setup drive can be read on its own away from the array or does it still need to be read from the RAID controller?
Old January 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Okay, I did some research and asked my colleague. I even tried it myself and I lose the left over space unless you do a software RAID but I think that depends on the OS. I have tried the software RAID on a Mac before on drives of 500GB and 250GB. I set them up in a 250GB RAID 1 array and the left over space into a single 250GB partition.

I'm not too sure for my second part question but my colleague told me that I can pull the drive out and it should be readable.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can try to partition your 1TB drive first so you don't lose space (don't know if this will work)? and yes, it will be fine (how else would you use your other drive(s) as a backup in RAID 1 if they won't work when one drive fails?).

I know my BIOS has a ton of options that you can consider. One option is to make one drive a 'backup' drive where it does the same feature as RAID 1 and copies everything on your master onto your slave. The real difference is that you still have distinct drives, so when reading, it doesn't treat it as an array and only reads from the master drive.