Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2011, 02:06 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Areca you will end up spending over a grand to get comparable performance. 3ware & Adaptec won't come anywhere near the 9211-8i. For a $275 card it is pretty much the best you can do for SSD RAID0.

More like $350 for the kit version that has the cables included.

Just need someone to buy my Optys and ill be all over it tho.
Old January 16, 2011, 02:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
More like $350 for the kit version that has the cables included.

Just need someone to buy my Optys and ill be all over it tho.
Buy LSI LOGIC [LSI00194] LSI MegaRAID 9211-8I 8PORT 6GB/S PCIEx8 256MB Low Profile SAS/SATA RAID Controller Card Single

$250

+

Buy 3Ware [CBL-SFF8087OCF-10M] 3WARE Multi Lane Internal SFF-8087 to 4X Serial ATA Breakout Cable 1.0M

$11
Old January 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry mate, but I did warn you about going the small SSD route and recommended the larger ones. I too thought that it would be able to do more than that or I would have put it much more strongly. Damn surprising actually as the PERC was a good raid board back in the day and it should have been able to give more than that!

TBH, your numbers are decent but if you want MORE go with lowfats recommendation. Onboard, hmm havent run 4 on fake raid (never seen the need, let alone want for that level of headache). I know with TWO SF drives you can hit about 500+mb/s so it might be a CHEAP way to go for the short term (once again though the numbers are all over the place with fake raid and SSDs on a SB890. Some tests will show about a 80-85% performance boost by adding a second SSD into an array...others show a mere 20% boost), BUT I really, really, really loathe fake raid. Spend the 3 bills and get a very good card you will be happier in the long run.

Oh and I would have answered earlier but I am on nights for Jan (and probably part of Feb) and this is about as early in the day as I am up. :)~

EDIT:
Actually now that I think about it. Some of your problem might actually be with the test you ran. Like on fake raid you might get wonky numbers all over the place with your PERC. SSDs and RAID do make for some "odd" results sometimes. Give AS-SSD and CDM a whirl. IF you are interested in seq speed, try HDtach and take a look at the graph it makes...maybe it can shed some light on to what is going on.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 16, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Awesome lowfat, thanks! That was a facepalm moment for me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sorry mate, but I did warn you about going the small SSD route and recommended the larger ones. I too thought that it would be able to do more than that or I would have put it much more strongly. Damn surprising actually as the PERC was a good raid board back in the day and it should have been able to give more than that!

TBH, your numbers are decent but if you want MORE go with lowfats recommendation. Onboard, hmm havent run 4 on fake raid (never seen the need, let alone want for that level of headache). I know with TWO SF drives you can hit about 500+mb/s so it might be a CHEAP way to go for the short term (once again though the numbers are all over the place with fake raid and SSDs on a SB890. Some tests will show about a 80-85% performance boost by adding a second SSD into an array...others show a mere 20% boost), BUT I really, really, really loathe fake raid. Spend the 3 bills and get a very good card you will be happier in the long run.

Oh and I would have answered earlier but I am on nights for Jan (and probably part of Feb) and this is about as early in the day as I am up. :)~
Well, even if i order the LSI right this instant with rush shipping it wont be here for a couple days. So I might as well try a few fake raid tests for ya Just let me know what benches you want me to run and ill post them up. I'll do a 2-sdd and 4-ssd runthrough for ya.
Old January 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My LSI 9211-4i has been holding up perfectly with my 4x1TB RAID10 array. Had one Seagate drive crap out last week so I replaced that without a hitch. Rebuilt fine, no data loss.

I got it for $180 off Newegg about 4 months ago.

Though one word of caution, your onboard motherboard RAID might cease to work with this card. At least that was my experience. I was able to use IDE/AHCI onboard though. Luckily I was able to crossflash my Maximus to Rampage and that fixed it all up.
Old January 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

How would 3.0Charlie's 3ware 9650SE-4LMPL stack up against the LSI 9211-4i for Raid 0 and SSDs? Anyone?
Old January 17, 2011, 04:56 PM

My System Specs

It wouldn't even be on the same playing field. 3ware have yet to show all that great latency which is absolutely needed for SSD RAID.