Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default Too many writes to log file on SSD

I noticed that I am getting a lot of writes to the following log files on my SSD -
$LogFile(NTFS VolumeLog), and $MFt (NTFS Master File Table). Is it advisable to
prevent these writes? How can I eliminate them ? I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Thanks.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

They are both integral parts of windows in general (think recycle bin and other such thangs) and NTFS in specific. You cant move them and should NOT prevent the writes (assuming you even could...which I dont think you can).

The $logfile is the "transaction logging file" of NTFS and contains basically all the changes that go on (ok that is a HUGE oversimplification as is only one of a couple...and its more precise to say $logfile == log of all medata changes to your file system). You really dont want to screw around with this one.

$mft master file table and is the file that contains and describes all your volumes, file names and a crap load of other IMPORTANT data your system NEEDS. You REALLY, REALLY dont want to screw around with this one.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr