Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2011, 03:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I haven't had time to read the review (or post at all on the board lately) but I had to chime in once seeing this thread. I picked up a new laptop four months ago, and grabbed a 500GB XT at the same time. I never even fired up the laptop with the stock 5400rpm drive. The XT has been phenominal so far. Not a single problem, and feels as fast as the SSD I had in my desktop. I have since built a HTPC for a friend with another XT and it has been running smooth as well. I heard about the QC issues as well, but no problems over here. I'll reccomend them any chance I get when it comes to performance/capacity, vs a SSD.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
The performance numbers we saw in testing were interesting to say the least since synthetic tests really don’t do this drive any justice. Where it really takes a step away from the pack is in the all-important real world tests. In every application we tested, Seagate’s hybrid drive simply demolished the competition.
This was what struck me the most. I love this product, and this thread confirmed my thoughts about maturing firmware making the caching even better.

Great review as always AkG!
Fold for team #54196
Old January 14, 2011, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default happy with it

I had a Seagate momentus 5400rpm 320g in my Dell XPS M1330 , I replaced it with a Momentus 7200rpm 320g , and then I put in the Momentus XT 500g , it is indeed the fastest of the 3 , so to keep it short it was a worthwhile upgrade.
Old January 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
Rookie

Default How do you securely erase the drive?

I can see security issues here.

How does one go about to erase all the contents of the flash-based cache?