Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
I have to admit, I find the choice of drives to compare it against a little strange... 250GB WD Black? 500 GB WD Blue? The 'raptor makes sense... but then you've got one of the fastest SSDs on the market in the Vertex 2.

I would like to know how it performs against, say, a 1 TB WD Black. Maybe a 2 TB, you can find them for $160 now and the extra $40 is worth 1.5 TB to most people. Especially because I'm thinking that this wouldn't outperform it by all that much...
First of all, I think you are mixing things up here. The drives you listed are full-sized and meant for desktops whereas this is a 2.5" unit marketed towards laptops. If we would have been testing the Barracuda XT, it would have made more sense to use additional desktop drives.

As for our current selection of drives, we are just starting to review 2.5" HDDs so it will take a little time to build up a large selection of them. Next up is the new Scorpio Black 750GB.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Seriously? January 12, 2011 and you guys are using VISTA to do HDD/SSD testing? Give me a break. Vista had the worst file transfer speeds of any OS in recent memory.

In your testing methodology you said you were using typical hardware so as to represent the typical high end user here, so why on earth would you be running Vista? None of the high end users here use Vista on their "high end" machines, or at least none of them will admit to it.

This is coming from a person who used Vista on everything when it was the latest OS, so I am by no means one of the BS Vista haters who never used the OS and had no basis for their hate. But I jumped ship to 7 (and from 2008 to 2008R2 on my server) on every system I own as soon as I could.

Old January 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihastru View Post
Micron (that shares NAND flash tech with Intel) is not the same company as JMicron.

Yup, My bad. Its actually a typo.

Sorry about that and welcome to HWC! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpr0fess0r View Post
Seriously? January 12, 2011 and you guys are using VISTA to do HDD/SSD testing? Give me a break. Vista had the worst file transfer speeds of any OS in recent memory.

In your testing methodology you said you were using typical hardware so as to represent the typical high end user here, so why on earth would you be running Vista? None of the high end users here use Vista on their "high end" machines, or at least none of them will admit to it.

This is coming from a person who used Vista on everything when it was the latest OS, so I am by no means one of the BS Vista haters who never used the OS and had no basis for their hate. But I jumped ship to 7 (and from 2008 to 2008R2 on my server) on every system I own as soon as I could.
No...read the review again. Actually here I'll help you out

"Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard was used, running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition."

Win 7 64bit is used for all tests but one.....VISTA is for BOOT TIME only. That's why that test is called "VISTA load time" and not "Windows 7 load time" or even "Windows load time". To be blunt Vista is a dog (worse than XP even). Windows 7 is too damn fast at boot times to make it really good at highlighting the power of various drives. The more powerful a drive the faster it can plow through all the garbage vista does on startup. The worse it is...the worse the numbers will be. I went looking for a dog that was still actually used by people and Vista seems to be the best bet for the next couple of years. I would have liked to use XP but thats too old now to be viable.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 13, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

No...read the review again. Actually here I'll help you out

"Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard was used, running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition."

Win 7 64bit is used for all tests but one.....VISTA is for BOOT TIME only. That's why that test is called "VISTA load time" and not "Windows 7 load time" or even "Windows load time". To be blunt Vista is a dog (worse than XP even). Windows 7 is too damn fast at boot times to make it really good at highlighting the power of various drives. The more powerful a drive the faster it can plow through all the garbage vista does on startup. The worse it is...the worse the numbers will be. I went looking for a dog that was still actually used by people and Vista seems to be the best bet for the next couple of years. I would have liked to use XP but thats too old now to be viable.
Thanks for the clarification. I glossed over the Hardware configuration as it wasnt all that important to the test results, so I missed the mention of Win 7 x64. I guess I was blinded by my inconsolable rage towards Vista HDD speeds.

Old January 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have one myself and it's hella good.

And I have to agree, the synthetic tests don't mean anything. At first I was reading your opinion AkG on the synth test results, and I was said to myself, "Wow, just wait until you load the OS a few times and a couple programs!"

I don't care too much about write speeds these days because once I have my computer set up, I really don't need to put anything else on it. Now, $150 may be expensive, so that's why you wait for a sale to get them at $100! ;)

EDIT: I have a question, AkG, and I was wondering if this drive needs to run in AHCI mode in order to get the SLC chip to work? Would IDE have any drawbacks?
Old January 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpr0fess0r View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I glossed over the Hardware configuration as it wasnt all that important to the test results, so I missed the mention of Win 7 x64. I guess I was blinded by my inconsolable rage towards Vista HDD speeds.

Its all good mate...and yeah I agree Vista would NOT make a good testbed for storage reviews as it stank at file transfer speed for a LOOOONG while. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I have one myself and it's hella good.

And I have to agree, the synthetic tests don't mean anything. At first I was reading your opinion AkG on the synth test results, and I was said to myself, "Wow, just wait until you load the OS a few times and a couple programs!"

I don't care too much about write speeds these days because once I have my computer set up, I really don't need to put anything else on it. Now, $150 may be expensive, so that's why you wait for a sale to get them at $100! ;)

EDIT: I have a question, AkG, and I was wondering if this drive needs to run in AHCI mode in order to get the SLC chip to work? Would IDE have any drawbacks?
AHCI is not needed as you wont be getting TRIM anyways. Its pretty much driver agnostic as it just reads over a period of time the files you use most and loads them into the NAND. Since writes are not in anyway boosted by the SLC NAND a degraded state (and thus taking longer to write to the SLC) also doesnt matter.

TBH I really like the XT hybrid and can see this being the future of high performance HDDS....BUT with that being said IF this review had been done before firmware 24 it would not have been as positive. It came with S23 and I did suffer from micro pauses and "stutters" in real world scenarios (I like to "play" with them before testing to get a feel for new tech)! Luckily, firmware 24 fixed all issues I had. But if yours is not running 24 I would upgrade it PDQ. The reason for those stutters (if you read between the lines) is the power savings were too aggressive and power down the hdd portion PDQ. This would cause some programs to only have half of the needed files loaded in the NAND (once again 4Gb is NOT enough)....and since the drive would power down it would take a second to spin backup...right in the middle of a user initiated I/O command! NOT a good thing. Luckily, 24 seems to be the magic number and even after TRYING to get it to do it on my testbed it would not "stutter".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Funny you mention firmware 24 because I did that just two nights ago haha! I agree. There were some noticeable improvements.
Old January 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great review as always AKG thanks but i would pass on this drive for me there only ssd/booting/os and big fvckers ie/1tb/2tb/storage. but still a good hybrid but i will pass for sure
Old January 13, 2011, 01:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
First of all, I think you are mixing things up here. The drives you listed are full-sized and meant for desktops whereas this is a 2.5" unit marketed towards laptops. If we would have been testing the Barracuda XT, it would have made more sense to use additional desktop drives.

As for our current selection of drives, we are just starting to review 2.5" HDDs so it will take a little time to build up a large selection of them. Next up is the new Scorpio Black 750GB.
Haha oops! Yeah I'm a bonehead, didn't even realize this was 2.5". Sorry!

EDIT: I mean, of course I knew it was a laptop/HTPC drive, but the idea didn't really click in my head. All work and no play makes me... a little slow haha

Last edited by mikellini; January 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
First, thank you! It's a nice corner of the interwebs. And sorry to be nitpicking again, but there are two instances of that typo, the second was near, in the very last paragraph on page 4:

Quote:
Unfortunately, neither company is particularly forthcoming about what this chip does but it is pretty obvious it most likely controls the Adaptive Memory Technology algorithms and by extension what is written to and read from the JMicron Flash chip.
Other then that insignificant error, nice review. I think that the amount of flash memory should be increased at least to 16-32GB before we can see true HDD-SSD "bridge" performance. But that will affect the price a lot more, I'm hoping that the new 2Xnm gen NAND will go into true mass production (and mass acceptance) and that will surely make a lot more sense to use in these hybrid products.