Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup. Trim and non-TRIM alike the Marvel based drives are my favorite SATA drives of this gen (I personally run M4 256, Corsair Perf 3 256 AND the Perf Pro 3 256'ers in my own rigs...with only a smattering of various SF2281s in some other rigs). The only difference between a Intel 510, Crucial M4, Corsair Performance Pro 3 and Performance 3 drives is the firmware (and in some cases the NAND used). When it comes to the sticker on the outside...is does not really matter all that much to me. Its only there for warranty and RMA's. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about the controller used in less popular drives such as the OCZ Vertex Plus, which uses Indilinx Arowana? It seems that a lot of people forgot these drives exist. I pulled the trigger on it myself, but ended up canceling the order due to as AkG said, TRIM command not getting passed properly.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Nice read there AKG, thanks, well I guess my ASUS M4A785-M is lacking the TRIM as well, what about my Epox 680i motherboard, I expect it will be the same for that one also.
I want to hook up a 240 gig SSD in each one. Any pro thoughts, or even con thoughts.
Thanks
Old January 3, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I thought of this after having a friend buy a SSD to use with his 4 year old computer (Intel G33 I think). Since it's so old, it most likely won't have TRIM. The long-term effects are that lack of TRIM will cause the drive to degrade in say 3 years instead of 5, but short term, there's little to no effects right? He puts his computer to stand by.

I'm in a similar situation as you read with my AMD chipsets, but I fold overnight when electricity is at its cheapest and turn off the computer during the day when electricity is most expensive. This makes my computer "idle" for a couple hours.

Last edited by geokilla; January 3, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The medium to short term effect of no TRIM is that a SSD can get into a degraded state and thus get SLOOOOW (think 5400rpm hdd that has never been defragged slow). Some SSDs are better at "Idle Time / Background Garbage Collection" in that they will do their own house cleaning during periods of low I/O requests. The long term effect is that this house cleaning "burns" more cell life. Given enough years yes it will shorten the lifespan of the drive...but tbh I doubt it will kill it before you replace it OR before something else like the controller chip dies. ;)

Idle time means the computer is on but NOT in use. Best idle time is at the login screen of the OS as no programs will be running that could slow down the process (eg virus scan's etc etc etc). Depending on mfg'er and your usage patterns you may not even need to make an effort to let the rig idle. If you read a long webpage / email some cleaning will get done before you move on to the next long one. SSD alogs for cleaning have come a long way since the Indlinix Barefoot days. IF you do notice it getting slow...give it an hour a week. That should be more than enough unless you are a power user.

Crucial M4 or Corsair Performance Pro or Intel 510. These are the drives that I would recommend if buying new. Good, fast and while they will never hit their full potential on SATA 3 Gb/s ports...will still be quick and can take care of themselves.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
AMD added TRIM support into their 10.11 drivers (and all subsequent drivers) and thus are TRIM aware.

Is this just referring to RAID controllers or to motherboards in general?

EDIT: Ok I am so bloody confused now. I thought this TRIM was a standard. Does that mean my board with 760G chipset will not be able to use TRIM?

What about my old LGA775's?

Controller on my SSD I believe is the Toshiba.

Last edited by Poison Ivy; January 14, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it pointless to get a fast sata 6gb/sec drive like the intel 520 for use on sata3gb/sec? Should i get the intel 320 instead?
Old February 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Is it pointless to get a fast sata 6gb/sec drive like the intel 520 for use on sata3gb/sec? Should i get the intel 320 instead?
Difference would be so minimal
Old February 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think I've decided on this (Crucial M4 128gb) I'm on Sata 3gb/sec

any objections before I buy it? Thanks. Sorry to thread crap just didn't feel like making my own thread for my dumb questions

Crucial M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GB at Memory Express
Old February 28, 2012, 09:56 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I think I've decided on this (Crucial M4 128gb) I'm on Sata 3gb/sec

any objections before I buy it? Thanks. Sorry to thread crap just didn't feel like making my own thread for my dumb questions

Crucial M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GB at Memory Express
Prices have been dropping the last few days. I'd honestly wait a week or two if you can. Hopefully Canadian prices will adjust by then.