Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent! Keep us informed!

I am one of the reluctant late adopters, someday I will take the plunge.
Old January 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Before I begin, please do NOT take all this as gospel (I am not God and have more than "feet of clay")
Yes you are.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

About time you got off your butt and did this.... ;) (JK, we really did need something along these lines.).

Couple of points for you to consider....

Quote:
To get your system into AHCI mode you need to enter your BIOS and change it from IDE mode to AHCI mode. It may also be labeled as "RAID" mode. This will vary from motherboard to motherboard. Consult your manual for more information.
Might want to mention that it's a PITA to switch over after the OS is installed, and that it's best to set AHCI in bios prior to OS installation.

As far as Trim + AMD goes.... I noticed you mentioned Trim & ITGC, but didn't mention the proprietary stand-alone cleaners (like intel's toolbox). From personal experience I can verify that the intel toolbox does not work on AMD chipsets set to AHCI. Best guess is that it sees all drives under AMD AHCI drivers as being in Raid config.

Once again... thanks for the great write-up!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the great writeup. All these AMD & trim issues make me want to jump ship to Intel though. I wish AMD would support the 790FX + 750SB.

I guess it is saving me money though since I won't buy another SSD until I can get it to run properly.
Old January 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

thanks for this tutorial! did majority of the things you've mentioned. helped out alot.
Old January 10, 2011, 10:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thanks guys. It is a work in progress and based on members feedback I hope it will grow into a GREAT resource for first time SSD buyers.

BootLegUsher....sorry but you are screwed. AMD only added TRIM support to their 8 series SouthBridge...so your 7 series will NOT pass on TRIM. You will have to rely on "ITGC".
I'll update the original post now with more information. So you and other peeps will know where I am coming from WRT "TRIM" :)
Just for my information, if I had a 8 series chipset, where would I get an AMD AHCI driver?

EDIT: Just saw your updated post, thanks for the info.

Last edited by BootlegUsher; January 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

you left out that trim IS supported in intel raid configurations while unfortunatly its not supported in raid on the current amd 8xx southbridges atm. GJ otherwise :)
Old January 11, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry but nope (or at least to the best of my knowledge...I could be wrong). No TRIM with RAID right now. For a VERY short while the first TRIM enabled Intel RST drivers did INCORRECTLY state (in the notes) that TRIM would be passed on to the SSDs even if they were in a RAID config. What the engineers meant was that in setup where you have a SINGLE SSD while having raid'ed HDDS (all on the ICH) the single SSD would still get the TRIM command passed to it. That actually is good to know as MANY workstations (ie one of Intel's BIG customers of SSDs) have raid'ed HDDs for storage and a singel SSD for the OS and up until then the RST drivers would not pass on the TRIM command even though the SSD was not in the RAID array. BUT the moment you stick two or more SSDs into a RAID config you lose TRIM.

In the future...maybe...hell probably. But that is the future and only time will tell who gets RAID + TRIM working. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 11, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
MVP

Here's one more question, since it looks like the new SSDs that are coming out are SATA III, how much performance will be lost if I have SATA II on my motherboard? I read the part about the 4K speeds being very important, will these new SSD's saturate SATA II on the 4K, or is it for something else?

Sorry if that question is unclear, my SSD knowledge is poor.
Old January 11, 2011, 04:10 PM

My System Specs

Random read/write it good, but only to a point. Almost all modern SSD's do well in the small file random read/write department.

Now as for your actual question, yes small file random read/write performance will likely drop if you were to use a SATA 6Gbps drive on a SATA 3Gbps controller. If you look at the Crucial C300 reviews you will see this.