Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2014, 09:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I still recommend you do it with all SSDs...but it is becoming more 'optional' as time goes by (long term write amplification is dropping every gen). The 730 is also a special case as it has a lot of OP built into it, meaning you can use a lot more of it with zero worries. Honestly, making the partition smaller is 90% for longevity of the NAND and 10% for performance. If you dont plan on keeping the SSD till it dies it really doesnt matter as much as it did.

Though by the same token if someone tells you you can fill it all the way to 90% and expect to write as much as some people claim....laugh at them (Ive actually had people tell me a full drive could write PetaBytes to it as someone proved it on an empty drive...yeah...no). You can easily calculate the safe write expectancy for YOUR drive based on your storage needs. Simply take the free space in GB and multiply by 3K. E.G. You leave 10GB free (ie the typical drive is basically full) expect 30TB of writes. 100GB = .24PB...ish. 30TB is a lot for home users, not as much as you think as long term write amplification means its much less....about 5+ years for most users (based on most calculations)....gee almost as if Intel knew what they were doing when they gave it a 5 year warranty. /whistle

This is being very conservative (and ignores OP all together) but it is better to be conservative than liberal. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 1, 2014, 01:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Talking Samsung 850 Pro 128GB Benches

My old HDD where I had the OS installed:

New beast:

Got it delivered yesterday. Installed Windows 10 (Technical preview) in AHCI mode and it shines even on a SATA II motherboard.

This series (850) by Samsung comes with 10 years peace of mind

Last edited by Rockfella; December 1, 2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old January 27, 2015, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a lot AkG!! It's a lot to take in at once, but it certainly beats trying to piece together everything via online reviews and Wikipedia on my own!!
Ram: OCZ PC2-8500 DDR2 Reaper 2x2GB
VID: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1Gb 256bit GDDR3
HDD: Western Digital 640Gb 7200rpm Black
DVD: LG DVDRW 22x
Monitor: LG W2353 23" LCD (Full HD)
Old April 2, 2015, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My search skills are failing me. I was trying to locate an old thread with respect to Samsung SSD RMA support in Canada. Has Samsung addressed their previous lack of information/support for SSDs in Canada?

I've noticed they have the 850 pros listed on their product pages, but on the warranty section I don't see information regarding SSDs:

Warranty Information | Samsung CA

My 840 256GB pro and 840 EVO 512GB have treated me well thus far, but I'm curious what the recourse is if things go sour.

Old April 2, 2015, 09:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This is the thread you were looking for: Samsung SSD support in Canada
Old April 2, 2015, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's the one, thanks!

Old April 9, 2015, 03:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How can you tell if a certain SSD uses synchronous or asynchronous NAND if the manufacturer does not advertise it? I noticed some ADATA drives on newegg mention having synchronous NAND.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If they dont advertise it you will have to rely upon reviews - its why I crack open every ssd I review. On the positive side ONFi 1 NAND (aka async NAND) is going away (again...hopefully this time for good) and is being replaced by ONFi 3 NAND...and TLC NAND in the budget end of the marketplace. Not a fond lover of TLC NAND, but ONFi 3 is much better than async. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 9, 2015, 04:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
My search skills are failing me. I was trying to locate an old thread with respect to Samsung SSD RMA support in Canada. Has Samsung addressed their previous lack of information/support for SSDs in Canada?

I've noticed they have the 850 pros listed on their product pages, but on the warranty section I don't see information regarding SSDs:

Warranty Information | Samsung CA

My 840 256GB pro and 840 EVO 512GB have treated me well thus far, but I'm curious what the recourse is if things go sour.
Bought a Pro over the week-end at CC. I asked about the Canadian Sammy RMA support issues - straight answer from the tech was to use the US RMA support; costs a bit more to shop to the US, but 3-days turn-around time with free Express Air return shipping, and they accept Canadian RMA requests.