Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2014, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
I just did my second format of my SSD, it's been over a year since the first. Found this tweak guide
Windows 7 SSD Tweaking Guide
and it has this part which is new to me:

That guide looks similar to Seans above but has a few more things than the OP of this thread and some Chrome tips too.
What's your thoughts on the additional points from that guide AKG? Worthwhile, or not so much?

Just got my intel 530 120gb (from BST) in and running a couple of days ago (still more installing to do yet though). I have made the changes you recommended, but not much else.

Any other pointers for a new to SSD guy?
Old May 1, 2014, 09:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Crap. Just saw the thread bump. SORRY! These days the only real main things you need to is make sure TRIM is working...and leave as much room as free as possible. The rest of the stuff in this thread is for long term thinking (ie you want it to last so long that the controller and not the NAND doesnt die first).

Make sure TRIM is working....run this. https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 6, 2014, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am a little confused on this, I have a arock z77 extreme 3 and am not sure if I can or cannot run msata SSD through the a pcie slot, I am asking this because my older intel 510 120 GB ssd is quickly running out of room so I am thinking or replacing it with a larger SSD and using the Intel in my laptop
Old September 6, 2014, 06:03 PM

Not exactly sure what you are asking mate. Do you want to use a mSATA drive in a mPCIE slot in your laptop (didnt think they made a mSATA version of the 510)? Do you want to use a SATA drive in mSATA laptop (dont do it probably wont fit with the needed adapter!)? Do you want to use your mSATA drive from your laptop in your desktop PC?

If the former nope, wont work. The laptop would need to have the connector routed to either a SATA controller or the pch. mSATA may look like mPCIE ...but its connector gets routed to either an addon SATA controller chip or the boards PCH/SB/ICH/etc. IF it doesnt it probably wont work (unless the mSATA SSD's controller has added PCIE features not usually used...and they are unicorn rare)

If its the latter option you are looking for an answer to...it may or may not work too many variables. Will require an adapter with a controller on it as mSATA needs to talk to a SATA controller to work. Worse still it really depends on the board and what it supports. Some boards get wonky when you add 'storage controllers' to the PCIE bus. Yours is a entry level ASRock...sooo..well I will let you draw your own conclusions on the chances of it working.

Personally I would use mSATA to SATA adapter and run it via your mobo's PCH. Something like this (its the first result I came up with not recommending it...just giving it as an example):
Addonics AD25MSD HDD Accessory - Newegg.com

If its some other question let me know and I will try and answer it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 7, 2014, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wrote to much information, I didn't make any sense lol
I need to, buy a larger SSD for my desktop .
for some reason I got confused with PCIe SSDs and Sata SSDs and msata . what is the real difference for the normal user like myself ? I am guessing that I could just stay with Sata SSD and forget about the PCIe and msata SSDs.

I read somewhere about companies using cheap parts to make SSD prices come down will this effect the performance and life expectancy of the SSD.
there are so many options out there that I am pretty much lost as to what to look for in a larger SSD and a decent price
Old September 7, 2014, 10:56 AM

Gotcha. OK. What you need to figure out is your budget.

The only real time I would go PCIe SSD is if I had the coin to do it right. Cheaper ones basically are nothing more that a M.2 with PCIE adapter. This means you got less room to work with...which means quad level NAND on fewer NAND ICs This is ok...but there is some research into it causing overheating inside the NAND IC (as they are stacked FOUR layers high) when pushed hard. Whether or not that is case or if it even matters to home consumers who dont punish their drives...will take years to sort out. Personally I think its a tempest in a teapot for home users. BUT why go PCIE if you cant do it 'right'. ;)

Im too lazy to look up that board but its good info to have...soooo
Im not sold on M.2 for the desktop. The only exception is unless you are on a tight budget (and want it for game load times where sequential speed is THE deciding factor) or making a SFF build where room is at a premium. IE M.2 is faster at seq but thats the only thing going for it on the desktop. Is it a kickass replacement for mSATA in laptops?...oh hell yes. NVMe baby...NVMeeeeee.

To further confuse things...not all M.2's are using the same std. There is a bunch of them Legacy SATA....so its a SATA drive in a fancy new form factor. Sata Express AHCI...faster but still meh....and then Sata Express NVMe based M.2s these are the fastest and most costliest. These are the only ones I would really buy...as NVMe is the future. AHCI is the past.

BUT THEN you need to look at your mobo and see which standard the M.2 slot actually supports! Not all support all standards. So IMHO ignore M.2 no matter your budget unless its a niche build. Let me know IF it is and I will give some recommendations.

Moving on to mSATA. IMHO the only time you want to go mSATA...is if its your only option (ie its a laptop and you only got that old std as your storage choice). All the problems of M.2 but with older crappier standard. They are slower and all round 'meh'. The only time I would even consider a mSATA in a desktop is IF you are building a SFF shoebox build and its that or use external storage. ...even then I would recomend a new board w/ a M.2 slot first!

SATA is probably where you will end up. Its on its last legs from an enthusiast POV (SATA Express/NVMe are going to kick it out of the enthusiast sphere...and probably take over a good chunk of the mainstream market while it is at it)..but for right now its still the best option for most consumers.

Stick with Samsung (non-EVO lines), Crucial (M550 or Arc 100 if budget is tight), Intel (the 480GB 730 is the only 730 series I would buy), SanDisk (Extreme series are very good kit)...and dark horse of Toshiba owned OCZ. Actually 2nd dark horse is AMD R7. It is a very good deal as its an toned down OCZ Vector 150 (firmware hobbled and lower binned -but still kick ass - NAND) without the cost of a Vector 150...and OCZ does all the RMA and troubleshooting duties. ;)

Those are 5 choices (technically 6...but AMD is just Tosh in a different pkg...and no idea on future lines...who knows who they will use for a 'R9' or 'R5' series!) that you cant go wrong with. All use good components in their MLC NAND based lines.

NOW as another FYI...are certain companies cutting every corner they can...yes. Is every line they make 'garbage'? No. Its just you have to know which is which. Right now the non-NAND mfger based companies are getting squeezed by the big fish who not only make the NAND but also sell directly to consumers (see my list above for examples). Toshiba is actually the only really OEM friendly company right now. Sammy and IMFT will sell NAND to the smaller fry...but the margins are getting THIN for the little guys. This has lead to them cutting corners they would not have dreamed of a few years ago!

Over the next few years you will either see these small fish use mainly Tosh NAND (not a bad thing as Toggle Mode > ONFi from a personal pref POV), leave the SSD industry (eg G.Skill), be bought out by the big boys(eg OCZ)...or something out of the blue will happen and break the industry wide open again (like it was 5 yrs ago).

Hope that helps. If not drop me an email and I will give you more fine grained recommendations, etc etc

Old September 7, 2014, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you for all of that information,
I think what I am going to do is just install my sshd for now and see what happens with the market .
Old September 7, 2014, 12:09 PM

NP.

Which actually brings up another interesting point....since Seagate bought SandForce from LSI...I expect very big things from them and their next gen SSD and SSHD. SF gen 3 controller is a beast...and when you combo it with a company who doesnt cut corners on their SSD lines...yeah its going to be interesting...and the next gen SSHD should be a redonkulously huge upgrade over their already pretty decent SSHD line right now. ;)

Old September 7, 2014, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool , I sure would like to know how you and others find these things out before anyone else lol
Old September 11, 2014, 04:48 PM

I talk to seagate and wd about once a month. Intel about the same....hell most of the mfgers on fairly regular basis...and am not afraid to sound like an ass or an idiot. :P