Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 08:59 AM
Allstar

Default In and outs of going SSD ?

I had never tried one of these drives accept for the 4gb that came with my Asus EEEPC a few years back.

If I was considering installing in a netbook ... would the effort be worth it over a 5400 rpm hdd?
Or should I just go the 7200 rpm hdd route ...
Old January 9, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

go ssd you will not regret it at all.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:07 AM
Allstar

Anything special to do before installing windows 7 or any special bios setting?
Old January 9, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My advice for a SSD in a laptop...

Search for the specs of your actual HDD in the laptop, and try to get an SSD that draws less wattage...

The Kingston SSDs, even if they're nice and cheap, draw as much power as a regular HDD...it's not a big deal, but in order to reap the "low power-increased battery life" advantage of an SSD, you got to check on that.

Other than that, they're all way faster that a HDD and will "rejuvenate" that laptop of yours...make it feel like brand-new and faster than ever...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
Trial Member

you should do some research on what brand you want to use in the manufacturers forum (and if you don't find any useful information, don't buy that particular brand).

alot of people have better benchmark scores using ahci mode vs. ide mode. i didn't look into this when i built my pc and now i have to format, since it's a real pain trying to switch to ahci after windows is installed (and to format i need to do a "sanitary erase" on my ssd to completely clean it up and restore performance).

i also recommend an ssd with a sandforce controller, i bought indilinx for more money and they seem to be going the way of the dodo.

and as you probably already know, as soon as you install windows, disable defrag. ssd's don't like it. but like i said, research the manufacturers forum and you should find alot of info on how to set it up, how to get best performance, and how to keep it running for a long time.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Windows 7 should know that you have a SSD and not defrag it already, but it's good to check first thing when you are in the install. Both times I've installed Windows 7 it already knew not to touch my Intel 160GB. The only BIOS setting to worry about is running your SATA controllers as AHCI instead of IDE. Make sure you understand the differences between the two before you switch it, and know that swapping between the two is not advisable if you already have Windows installed (best to reformat). Ignore any and all SSD tweak suggestions on forums that you come across.. they are unnecessary and could potentially be detrimental at this point. The only one I personally suggest is the Firefox SSD tweaks that change Firefox so that it doesn't temporarily cache streaming media on your hard drive, but instead does it all entirely through RAM.

Old January 9, 2011, 12:36 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenewby View Post
you should do some research on what brand you want to use in the manufacturers forum (and if you don't find any useful information, don't buy that particular brand).

alot of people have better benchmark scores using ahci mode vs. ide mode. i didn't look into this when i built my pc and now i have to format, since it's a real pain trying to switch to ahci after windows is installed (and to format i need to do a "sanitary erase" on my ssd to completely clean it up and restore performance).

i also recommend an ssd with a sandforce controller, i bought indilinx for more money and they seem to be going the way of the dodo.

and as you probably already know, as soon as you install windows, disable defrag. ssd's don't like it. but like i said, research the manufacturers forum and you should find alot of info on how to set it up, how to get best performance, and how to keep it running for a long time.
Thanks for the info ... great 1st post!
Welcome to the forum

Was looking at this one ...
Newegg.ca - Patriot Inferno PI60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Last edited by yamawho; January 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's pretty good but if your going sandforce get a vertex 2 so you don't get lower end firmware. my 2 cents
Old January 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
that's pretty good but if your going sandforce get a vertex 2 so you don't get lower end firmware. my 2 cents
I just checked and it looks like and there is a comment about this on the OCZ vertex 2...

Cons: firmware on this is 1.25. I tried updating but for some reason it wont allow me to. Ocz Toolbox cannot find the driver, even in administration.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Not into living thru any cyber adventures these days. Might just go for a 250gb hdd for 45$ ... 4 times the space for 1/3 of the price with no surprises.
Old January 9, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This one is the one you want:

Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

For advise, just make sure you are set to AHCI and install windows 7. Trust me you will not regret it. I think the SSD is the best thing for a notebook. Since you are always starting and restarting and waking them you will notice the difference right away. Very much worth it.

While true you can get more space with the straight hdd option you will not regret going to the SSD. As for the firmware thing that is the first I have heard and really you don't need to upgrade the firmware. Some people advise it but I have installed many of these at work and I just don't have the time to go around and update firmware yet they are all very pleased with the performance.

Last edited by ipaine; January 9, 2011 at 03:56 PM.