Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
In and outs of going SSD ?
Hey man...its a lightening fast Drive...more expensive than a regular HD...."ins and outs".....? really??

If you can afford it...get one...if you can't ...don't....a whole "Thread" on the subject ?!

Old January 9, 2011, 07:29 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hey man...its a lightening fast Drive...more expensive than a regular HD...."ins and outs".....? really??

If you can afford it...get one...if you can't ...don't....a whole "Thread" on the subject ?!
It's not really about the price ... it's about spending a weekend trying to make it work that I was trying to avoid. Kind of like trying to get eSata to work ...
Old January 9, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how does it take a whole weekend to get esata working or an ssd there plug and play ???. both are very easy to use there really no difference in how you use them ssd/Hdd sata/esata. not really sure what your doing that would take that long
Old January 9, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^^ +1 ......

Old January 10, 2011, 05:48 AM
Allstar

I ordered a Vertex 2 from NCIX last night.

In the meantime SSD life-span recommendations here ...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-review/5
Old January 10, 2011, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

None of the tweaks mentioned there are necessary. Up to you though.

Old January 10, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's right there not necessary but can help
Old January 10, 2011, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I suppose for a laptop that's true.

They can potentially be detrimental on multi-hard drive systems that are using standard HDDs as well as SSD though.

Old January 10, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how cause i have run my main system with those tweaks for over 3 years know and after changing so many parts and rebuilding the rig so many times i have lost count i have never had a single problem what so every. and all i run ssd's for is boot drive all the rest of my storage is hdd's. could you explain what you mean cause i am not sure what your talking about. if you mean you may lose data cause you can find it ( without indexing on then ok ) but you should know where your data is i do anyways. just wondering what you mean???

edit mind you i also run my htpc and my 3rd pc without any tweaks and can see very little difference
Old January 15, 2011, 05:14 AM
Allstar

Turned out that taking apart the netbook was more of an adventure than installing windows 7 32bit ult on the ssd. No doors on the back ... needed to take it apart to upgrade.

Anyway, so far boots faster and windows hdd score is 7.7.

Formated at 55.9GB with 42.6GB free after installing the OS and Office 2007 with Google Chrome.

Needed to turn off defrag ... I was under the impression the os was supposed to know it was on an ssd and disable this automatically ...

Tried to run the OCZ Tool v2.31 and I won't run (need to be admin) which I am ...

Anything else I should check ?