Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
This one is the one you want:

Newegg.ca - Suggested Products for advise, just make sure you are set to AHCI and install windows 7. Trust me you will not regret it. I think the SSD is the best thing for a notebook. Since you are always starting and restarting and waking them you will notice the difference right away. Very much worth it.

While true you can get more space with the straight hdd option you will not regret going to the SSD. As for the firmware thing that is the first I have heard and really you don't need to upgrade the firmware. Some people advise it but I have installed many of these at work and I just don't have the time to go around and update firmware yet they are all very pleased with the performance.
Your link has USB drives and std ram ...
Old January 9, 2011, 03:29 PM
Allstar

What about these Seagate Momentus XT SSD Hybrid drives ?

Newegg.ca - Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive
Old January 9, 2011, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you want something completely stable and reliable get an Intel G2 drive... don't mess around with other brands and don't mess around with hybrid drives.

Old January 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i have had lots of fun with updating ssd's but you don't really have to with trim and sandforce. but anything can have problems
Old January 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Your link has USB drives and std ram ...

Well that was screwed up. I wasn't even at that page at all. Plus I swear it was correct right after I posted it?!?!

Anyways I fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
If you want something completely stable and reliable get an Intel G2 drive... don't mess around with other brands and don't mess around with hybrid drives.
I don't know why you would think the Intels are any more stable or reliable. Don't get me wrong they weren't bad drives but no more reliable than anything else. Plus those Intel G2 drives are quite old now and just can't compete performance wise with any of the sandforce drives.

Old January 9, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Updating the firmware on ANY SF drive can be a bit a of a PITA. You n you can't use AMD drivers (on amd systems roll back to MSAHCI, reboot, rerun the updater, change back to amd drivers) and you cant use intel RST 10.x version drivers. You can use 9 series RST OR msahci drivers. You also cant be in IDE...it dont work. Thats how bad reviews like that on the egg happen....well that and the peeps doing the "review" dont read up or spend 2 seconds on OCZ's forum!

I like the Intel gen 2...but it is now old and about to be EOL'ed. Why pay full price when in a very short period of time it will be a LOT cheaper? It is NOT any more reliable or "stable" than any other modern SSD....I don't even know where rumors like that get started as it is pure FUD.

The seagate XT hybrid is a very decent solution for peeps wanting more space than a hundred buck SSD can provide, yet also want more power than even a 10k rpm hdd can provide. It is NOT a SSD killer. TBH, its the future of HDDs (except for those for storage only...thing WD "green" line). A review on this drive is in the works (with me backed up on work AND just getting over the damn stomach flu AND our editor at CES...things are a tad SLOOOOOW right now). ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 9, 2011, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just bumped into a friend of mine at Canada Computers earlier today and he was returning a Revodrive because it failed on him after 2 weeks. It's not the first person I've known that has had a problem with an OCZ drive either. I've seen mention that programs such as CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD can destroy Sandforce based drives, and that the sandforce controller suffers more severely from degraded performance over time. I assume TRIM is now working with them, right? If so at least that has been eliminated.

The G2 is certainly old now, and I've never had a problem with my X-25 G2 160GB. That's why I don't have a problem recommending it. I'm not out to say bad things about the others as Sandforce is actually quite intruging, but I think it's fair to say that the Intel drives do work more reliably. At the end of the day, I'm not certain you can really go "wrong" with the current choices we have anyways.

I agree with you and really I wouldn't suggest any SSD at ALL at this point due to the new Sandforce and Intel drives being just around the corner... but it seems the OP was interested in getting one now.

Old January 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry but you are making a couple assumptions that need to be corrected.
Intel drives suffer from degradation in non TRIM environments just as badly as SF drives do (one could make a very good argument that they suffer more than SF). SF drives are and always have been TRIM enabled drives. How TRIM works on SF drives IS different than how it works on most others (lazy house cleaning and all that), but with their ultra low .5 - .6 write amplification you could make a VERY good argument that the avg SF drive will last LONGER than the avg Intel drive (or any other mfg'ers SSD) as the NAND will not do as many writes in a given amount of time.

The fact of the matter is Intel drives also fail. I have had a couple Intels fail on me. In fact, I had one die right out of the box on me. It happens. Out of over 200 (or more I don't have a firm number as I gave up counting LONG ago) Indilinx and SF and Toshiba and Sammy based SSDs i can count on one hand the number of bad ones I have had. Out of the (just a guess as I'd have to go back and count them...and thats too much like work :P) 50 or 60 Intels I have also had only a couple bad ones. Its luck of the draw and the failure rate is about the same as it is with HDDs I use. Bad things, can and will happen. OCZ's are just as reliable as Intel which are just as reliable as Corsair which is just as reliable as {fill in any other SSD "mfg'er" here}.

BUT you have to look at the overall picture, some people just have "bad luck" with a certain mfg'er and thus should avoid that mfg'er in the future. It doesnt matter if you "know" in your head it will be just as reliable as any other if your gut says "NO"....you just won't be able to trust it and thus wont be happy with it. I too have a couple mfg'ers that I like to use in my builds (for example I like Seasonic based PSU's and CM cases) as I have had bad luck with other mfg'ers. This doesnt colour my professional opinions of those other mfg'ers as I understand that past experience doesnt mean jack with a new model and my personal experience will vary from yours ...but that was the hardest part for me to do as a reviewer. Its also why I say "YMMV" when asked for my personal opinion on things.

The Revo drive is a special case as it is TWO SF drives in a software raid array on a PCI-E based PCB. It shouldnt have failed after two weeks but like any mass produced product there are exceptions that prove the rule. BUT likle most SSDs they usually either die very quickly or last a long while. That is what happened to your friend and that is what can happen to ANY new SSD.

Honestly, right now is a bad time to buy any SSD as the new models are literally going to be coming out very soon. I just personally think the Intel's are a less than optimal choice right now as the SF's are just as good on the low 4K end as them but also have the high end to blow the Intels away. The new Intel gen 3 will basically be Intel's answer to the SF12xx drive....soooo it will be interesting to see IF Intel will be playing catchup for the next gen as SF 2xxx's are just around the corner (I fully expect Intel gen 4 to be killers as that is how it usually goes with Intel, they get their areses handed to them for a gen like they did with X2 amd 939s and then released C2Ds).

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You're absolutely right that perception does play a factor and I'm glad you can provide clarification, I appreciate that. Sometimes it is easy to forget that everyones experiences are different and quite subjective, and that most of all what we see on a forum are the negative aspects and not always the success stories. As I said I have nothing against OCZ and if the upcoming Sandforce drives are superiour to Intel's offerings I will certainly be getting one!

Old January 9, 2011, 07:52 PM
Allstar

I was looking at pulling the trigger on this to get my feet wet ...

NCIX.com - Buy Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 64GB 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SV100S2/64GZ In Canada.

However, as AkG has stated maybe I will wait ... this is to install in a netbook after all.