Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2011, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Default Going from IDE DVD to Sata

Ive been using the DVD drive Sony AD-7201A 20x DVD±RW DL IDE Drive w/LightScribe (Black) Sony AD-7201A
It uses a IDE. After trying to research about these things I have learned that there are some kind of "configurations" you need to set for ide's along with other technical stuff.

Now since it died about a year ago (used the Internet, but today I need to reinstall windows) I'm going to purchase this Sata DVD drive. Micro Center - LG GH22NS50 22X Internal SATA Super Multi DVD Drive OEM 392522

After researching about these I have the understanding that all you gotta do is plug and use. My question is, will the IDE port that used to be for my old DVD drive (which will no longer be there) effect my mobo/computer performance, or cause implications from not being used?

Will having a unused IDE port cause a performance decrease or problems?
Old January 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No problems at all, you are good to go.
Old January 7, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no and on most motherboards you can turn it off if you really want but really no point
Old January 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
Banned
F@H

going by the above, you can actually go ahead and turn off everything but what you need.old school trick on some boards to get them stable on the high end oc :)

the beauty of sata is headache free, when eveything works fine as it should. no master slave pins no pins little connectors fiddling none of that :)