Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2011, 09:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
you better hope so cause that's another way to help kill cells if it's not. i have never looked into it offset.
Offset is only required in XP no? Something to do with aligning the raid properly I believe. But Windows Vista and 7 don't need to be adjusted in that way since their partitioning tool does it automatically.

Looks like it'll be a 64k stripe size (as per usual, lol)
Old January 4, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya vista and 7 do it i was just wondering if it offsets the revox2 the same way just never look into it with sandforce based pci-e ssd and wondering if it done the same is all. would it apply the 1024 offset to both sandforce ssd on the pcb or will it split them up? was what i meant
Old January 4, 2011, 10:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Windows Vista and 7 don't need to be adjusted in that way since their partitioning tool does it automatically.
Yes it automatically offsets it to 1024KB. XP automatically offsets it to 63KB which of course is murder to 64KB block SSDs.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
i was just wondering if it offsets the revox2 the same way just never look into it with sandforce based pci-e ssd and wondering if it done the same is all. would it apply the 1024 offset to both sandforce ssd on the pcb or will it split them up?
The offset of a partition is applied by the partitioning program to the storage device whether it's a single HDD, SSD or an array of either. It sees an array as a single drive. It doesn't deal with the individual SF1200s, just the SiI3124.

Just as your experimentation and mine has led us to using 1024KB offsets and 64KB stripes, I'm sure OCZ's engineers have come to the same conclusion.

Next time I reboot I'll try to remember to go into the SiI3124 RAID BIOS and check the stripe size, but I'd be very surprised if it was anything except 64KB.

Edit: If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try to find the old thread over at the OCZ forums where one of their engineers explained the whole issue. One thing for sure is that with RAID-0 it has to be an exact multiple of the NAND block size times the number of member SSDs.

Last edited by JimboToronto; January 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i sure hope so
Old January 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
Edit: If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try to find the old thread over at the OCZ forums where one of their engineers explained the whole issue. One thing for sure is that with RAID-0 it has to be an exact multiple of the NAND block size times the number of member SSDs.
This is what interests me the most to know. Does the number of disks in a Raid-0 affect the ideal stripe size? As my chart above kindof tried to explain, im not so sure its so simple as "Always use 64k stripe". I think for a large array the stripe size should be larger (say 8 disks? but who's tried that many SSDs at one time? lol)
Old January 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think linus did with those cheap onyx ssd maybe we can ask him cause it would make sense that the more disk the larger the strip no? since i have never run more then 3 ssd in raid0 i really wouldn't be the one to know.