Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Disk Cleaners and SSD

I was just wondering what the effect of Disk Cleaning utilities like R-Wipe & Clean or
Auslogics will have on SSDs. Especially since these utulities have different algorithms for
cleaning. My understanding is that these utilities don't just remove unwanted junk - they
overwrite the space - sometimes with several passes. Any comments please ?

Thanks.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good way to kill a drive quick is to use HDD secure delete programs on SSDs.
The TRIM command (and ITGC for that matter) will "over write" the no longer used cells by bring them back to their virgin state (FF)....no need for multiple passes....unless you are selling the drive and VERY OCD about it.

TBH, I dont bother with a lot of these garbage cleaning / Crap cleaner programs. I use spacemonger to see what is taking up room WHEN I notice it and take manual steps to correct it. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr