Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
Edit:Never mind, its out of stock

newegg has a kingston the v180 on sale for 75$ Newegg.ca - Kingston SSDNow V+ 180 SVP180S2/64G 1.8" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).

the also got some A-data one for 100,

Kingston Mon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
This is not quite under $100 but close.

OCZ (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G) Vertex 2 Extended SATA II 2.5" 60GB Solid State Drive, Read: 285MB/s, Write: 275MB/s | Canada Computers

I bought a 64GB Kingston SDnow V series for one of my books and was disappointed with the performance. I'm replacing it with a Vertex2.

The V+180 is the 1.8" version of the V+100....which makes it about as powerful as an Indilinx SSD (maybe a bit more in some areas). Its a decent drive, but its only a slight refresh (mainly firmware) of the SSDNow V+ line which is showing its age.

BUT if the OP can afford the extra couple and deal with MIRs a Vertex 2 60GB will out and out SMOKE it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 30, 2010, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
if the OP can afford the extra couple and deal with MIRs a Vertex 2 60GB will out and out SMOKE it.
No kidding. Especially in small file (e.g. 4KB) transfers.

When I got my SSDnow I was putting it in an Intel 945-based netbook with only SATA1 which I knew would bottleneck sequential transfer rates but I was expecting better 4KB transfers.

The only SSDs I've used that performed worse than the SSDnow are ancient Phison and Jmicron SSDs from the stone age of SSDs a few years ago. Even my old Mtron PATA SLC SSD seemed snappier in everyday use and my newer Intel and Indilinx SSDs are even faster. Of course my Sandforce SSDs are that much faster again, with my quad-Sandforce RevoX2 in a class of its own (unless you consider FusionIO to be in the same class for a lot more money).
Old December 31, 2010, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRYJESUS View Post
Too bad it's sold out where I live near, which is the Richmond one. Online store is out too. Anything else guys?
Ya snooze, ya lose! ME online store showed 7 in stock for those Kingstons on Dec 28th (Tues). I ordered one, but only have order confirmation so far (not shipping) and my cc hasn't been charged yet.

I ordered a bunch of parts from newegg on Dec 29th; cc charged, everything shipped (3 different newegg warehouses: LA, NJ, TO) same day, all 3 tracking numbers in my e-mail and their system. C'mon ME, I ordered one drive and that was 3 days ago!

That said, I picked up an SSD from the BS/T Forum yesterday and might be willing to part with the Kingston if ME doesn't cancel the order on me due to a stock error. I thought about calling to cancel myself since I don't need two, but if they come through I'll have an extra on hand. $79.99+HST = $89.59, and I'm in Richmond too.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

at the 100 dollar mark not buying a vertex 2 is just plain silly imho i mean come on it kills every thing out there so why not. only reasson i have not bought one is because i have no use for it yet ( like that every stop me for long eh lol )
Old December 31, 2010, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
at the 100 dollar mark not buying a vertex 2 is just plain silly imho i mean come on it kills every thing out there so why not. only reasson i have not bought one is because i have no use for it yet ( like that every stop me for long eh lol )
Under $90 shipped to your door for a 64GB SSD is a deal that can't be passed up. If you've never owned an SSD before (which I haven't), there is no reference point for comparison. Telling me an OCZ is better than a Kingston, or looking at benchmarks means nothing without personal experience. If either is going to be used in a budget machine, evidentiary difference in performance will also be nominal.

"Money talks, BS walks" and "A penny saved, is a penny earned" as the sayings go. If I save $20+tax (or more) by going with the Kingston, I can put that few $$ towards real world needs: food, gas, diapers, bills, debt, etc. In some cases, people are just cheap. I'm both - I'm cheap and I need all the $$ I can get.

You have to look at circumstances too, not just hypotheses and benchmarks. Could my non-O/C'ed S939 X2 3800+ XP machine suffice for the next several years? Considering my needs, I'd say yes; but the old girl is tired and anymore upgrades to her won't help that much (two HDD's, 120/160 both starting to fail). My next build is an i3 540 because of budget, and anything more will really be overkill when considering my needs (I spend more time surfing on my iPhone and netbook anyway). I just figured I'd upgrade my whole machine if I'm going to be opening her up anyway. It's been years, so I think I deserve this little Boxing Day/Week 2010 indulgence.
Old December 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think what gbee was saying could be better put by this:
Will the Kingston be faster than a HDD? Yes. It certainly will. Is saving 20 bucks instead of going with a SF drive a good idea....usually not. 20 bucks really is not that much and the dif is HUGE.

... or something to that effect. ;)

With that being said the Kingston is still a decent drive and I hope you enjoy it. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 31, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i always find when cheaping out on things you want you end up having regrets on a lot of purchases that's all i didn't mean anything by it and for sure if your going from an hdd to that ssd then for sure you'll notice it but like akg said that's what i meant when it comes to ssd the vertex 2 is a much better choice is all. hope your happy with any ssd you buy
Old January 6, 2011, 05:15 PM
Rookie

99$ is getting to be a nicer price for these things. I want to see one in action though before i buy it. Sounds too good to be true and they cost alot. But 99$ is not bad.