Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 12:05 AM
Rookie

Default HD Speed

Hey guys, I just read the WD 3TD green review and I just want to know if the speeds for my HD are slow or fast. I have 2X1TB WD Blacks in Raid 0

Should I upgrade to a SSD for OS/Games? I am happy already but I don't care to drop some money for a SSD or two.

Which SSDs would you guys recommend for OS/Games 100GB +- 20GB
Old December 30, 2010, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sandforce but i can't see your pic for some reason he he.

edit the revo2 has no trim support and almost no software can take advantage of it's speed save the money and buy a vertex 2. or grab 2 of them and what jimbo said you can get 2 vertex 2 for the price of a 50gb revo2. jm2cents

Last edited by gingerbee; December 30, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you really want to rock, get a RevoX2. A little pricey, but worth every penny.

Hey, may as well get two, one for your OS and one for your games.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:30 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
Hey guys, I just read the WD 3TD green review and I just want to know if the speeds for my HD are slow or fast. I have 2X1TB WD Blacks in Raid 0
What does determine if a HD is fast or slow?
Is it a combination of the RPM, cache size or what?

Since one of the Christmas draw prizes was the Seagate Hybrid, how does that differ between SSD and HD?
Old December 30, 2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
F@H

combination of all i guess? :)

the seagate hybrid one is really cool, performance wise its inbetween an ssd and mechanical drive.

worth it if you dont bleed for better numbers than your neighbour. ssd part is really small though, gets faster as you use it,it looks like :)
Old December 30, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and i believe it's an slc so it will last a long time on the hybrid drive still may grab one to check them out. offtopic glad to see you back jimbo you gotta try the new chips or at least overclock that q66 man

it still has no major advantages because the software can't take advantage of it sorry jim fact and you no it you want snappy then get the fastest 4kb write you can get period oh you did ha ha just not very cost affective is all i almost bought one and i would use it so it would end up dead like all ssd in the end

Last edited by gingerbee; December 30, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old December 30, 2010, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
the revo2 has no trim support and almost no software can take advantage of it's speed save the money and buy a vertex 2. or grab 2 of them and what jimbo said you can get 2 vertex 2 for the price of a 50gb revo2. jm2cents
I'm not too worried about my Revo2 and its lack of trim. It has four Sandforce 1200 series controllers doing ITGC on a mere 100GB. That's a lot of janitors in a small hall.

As for software to take advantage it, how about starting with Win7? It makes it fly.

I was almost as pleasantly surprised by the noticeable increase in snappiness over my array of Indilinx Vertex as I was after replacing my array of Raptors with the SSDs.

What really sold me was how cheap it really was for the performance you get. My Indilinx array was bottlenecked by the ICH9R at 650MB/s. The Revo2 has no such bottleneck.

To get similar performance you would need to replace it with a PCIe RAID card and four Sandforce SSDs. Try doing that for under $450.