Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2010, 06:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Hard Drive Review Comment Thread

As media files balloon in size and high definition content moves towards the mainstream, consumers' storage needs have expanded by leaps and bounds. Hard drive manufacturers have been trying to keep up with products sporting higher and higher capacities. Western Digital is now pushing the limits with their new Caviar Green 3TB and has come up with some unique features which allow their newest product to break previous thresholds.

[ Read full article ]
Old December 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
Banned
F@H

nice, was waiting for this review on here!

great performance, decent bang per buck if interior space is an issue when 2tb's are under 100 tax in.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good performer for a 3TB. I was expecting it to be slower than a 2TB. I think WD have a good pick with that one. Now just wait for the black version or a raptor 3TB :P Nice review!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 29, 2010, 08:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

good review man! looks good for the htpc/home server market.

also, i noticed a typo here
Quote:
Sadly, the 622 doesn’t address the problem with older operating systems. As any Solid State Drive enthusiast will tell you, XP doesn’t use a “proper” offset when it formats a drive. It uses an archaic 63-bit offset which was perfectly fine a few years ago but it screws the pooch on 4K sectors as a single 4K write will use two sectors instead of on.
should say "two sectors instead of one."

overall, good review
Old December 29, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I'm amaze by its performance. It's almost as good as a 7200RPM drive. Too bad it doesn't play nice with WHS.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll pass till they come down once you take into account that that 2tb of the same wdears are around 100$ like other members have said.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I have a lot of Green 1.5TB and 2TB drives (32M), and don't see myself replacing them with the 3TB drives til they come down to the $150 mark.. more in line with the $$/GB figures the other drives have - and they play nicer with some operating systems.
It is tempting to buy two of them to replace three of my 2TB drives, especially in more space-constrained file servers.

I find it funny that if you buy 4 of these drives, you're going to have 4x 2 channel controllers also - seems like a waste. It also would eat up a lot of PCIe slots putting a lot of these drives in one computer system - but I don't believe that's what they are intended for.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice review. Those will replace my 2TB's when they hit the ~90-100$ price point within the next few years. It's nice if these are faster than actual 2TB greens, which are quite good for large file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-At the begining of the review: (I actually thought it was nice to have an increased warranty on green products..)
Quote:
Product Name: Western Digital Green 3TB
Part Number: WD30EZRSDTL
Warranty: 5 Years
-At the end: (here you bring us back to the reality -.-)
Quote:
Cons

- While a good value it still is a lot of money for one drive
- Not recommended for an OS drive. Rather, wait for the Black version
- Only a 3 year warranty
Old December 30, 2010, 07:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I still see myself buying the 2TB greens just cause they work better with XP and require just the quick WD Format tool to make the 4K sector fix, plus as others said there still pretty darn expensive for the price. I would love to see a 7200 RPM 3TB though.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's rather sad to think that 4 of these drives can fit my rig in an SFF case =\ Which I've always wanted.

In time... but for now, 2TB @ <$100 will have to do.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD