Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

Default SSD heath status at "warning" according to HD Tune

I purchased an Vertex 2 60GB SSD back in October to use as a boot/program drive. It doesn't get much use other than that. I've done a clean install of Win7 less than three times. I decided to download HD Tune to check out my speeds and life and I'm greated with a "warning" for health status. Now I read somewhere that SSD usually have a life-span of five years..not two months.

What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: heres a quick shot of what I see in HD TUne.

Old December 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

run ssd life. dont trust hdtune for anything ssd
Old December 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Top Prospect

Downloaded SSD life...tells me the opposite. My SSD heath is excellent!.

awesome, gunna assume HD Tune is just not reliable.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's good for good old fashion platter drives though :)
Old December 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya they have been saying it for a while now that hdtune reads smart data wrong on most ssd. but if ssdlife say your good i would go with that one it's a one a trust more then most and that's not saying much. ( there all just a decent guess really )
Old December 29, 2010, 07:31 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

the name speaks for itself, HD Tune-Hard Drive Tune
Old December 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My guess is you are using an older firmware revision. I know for the LONGEST while SF drives reported down right WONKY s.m.a.r.t numbers. This was (somewhat) corrected in latter revisions. Honestly, SSD life is good for quick and dirty guesstimate but you really cant beat the OCZ Toolbox reporting tool. It will tell you exactly how many cells are "dead" and have be reallocated and how many spare blocks are left. When this latter numbers gets low....sell the drive before it dies. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
My guess is you are using an older firmware revision. I know for the LONGEST while SF drives reported down right WONKY s.m.a.r.t numbers. This was (somewhat) corrected in latter revisions. Honestly, SSD life is good for quick and dirty guesstimate but you really cant beat the OCZ Toolbox reporting tool. It will tell you exactly how many cells are "dead" and have be reallocated and how many spare blocks are left. When this latter numbers gets low....sell the drive before it dies. :)~
That's sorta why I ended up going brand new instead of buying used...
Old December 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No need to do that...simply asked for a screen shot before buying. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr