Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 40GB SSD Single & RAID Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/39210-mushkin-callisto-deluxe-40gb-ssd-single-raid-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL December 23, 2010 04:23 PM

Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 40GB SSD Single & RAID Review Comment Thread

While SSDs have been gradually coming down in price, they are stilled considered to be luxury items by many. Mushkin's new Callisto Deluxe line is aiming to change that perception. The 40GB version is less than $100 and promises high performance in a frugal package but can it deliver?

[ Read full article ]

ZZLEE December 23, 2010 04:28 PM

teasing me/ Got money and sales in day or two :whistle:

YoungMan December 23, 2010 04:41 PM

Great price!!!!

ZZLEE December 23, 2010 04:50 PM

Link on forums is not woking and no link at end of article ?

xSS4x December 23, 2010 08:47 PM

Wonder how my Vertex 2 40 GB stands compare to the mushkin, gskill and corsair....

mikellini December 25, 2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSS4x (Post 466008)
Wonder how my Vertex 2 40 GB stands compare to the mushkin, gskill and corsair....

Real world? You would never notice a difference unless you spend most of your time on the computer using a stopwatch... Really, the performance gains with even new SSDs vs. last year's models is very small, at least compared to the jump from HDDs. I think the conclusion says it best, it's time for some new competition. Although, I think that at this point, really high performing SSDs aren't going to be all that much better than budget ones; similar to what we're seeing with DDR3 RAM. At least, unless you're using specialized software that really benefits from a performance increase in a specific component.

Moore's Law is toast pretty soon as well, at least for a silicon microchip. It seems that nearly everywhere you look with PC hardware, we're nearing a performance plateau. :shok:

vohiep84 December 25, 2010 12:39 AM

They use the same sandforce chip, so I'd imagine the same speeds. (vertex 2 vs calistos)

S.C.C December 26, 2010 10:29 PM

Well, it's a very good price compares to what we had 1~2 years back. But SSD still consider very new and price will continue to go down. (I remember getting a PATA 120GB HDD 4~5 years back cost me $150ish after tax, now a 1TB SATA going for $40ish before tax?) Still good stuff tho.

AkG December 27, 2010 05:55 AM

The Mushkin is a full speed SF1200 SSD. The Vertex 2 is also a Full Speed SF SSD. Both use the same NAND. Both are pretty quick on firmware updates (slight advantage to OCZ...BUT not as big as usual). So both will perform within mfg'ing tolerances. One SSD may have slightly "faster" NAND but its really 6 in one, half dozen in the other. :)

Compared to Corsair the Mushkin dominates. Compared to Patriot..it dominates (and are down right glacial on updates..when they even bother). Compared to the GSkill Phoenix PRO...it ties it as the Pro is a full speed SF drive, BUT GSkill are down right SLOW on firmware updates. Compared to OWC it ties, BUT OWC are slow on updates and down right horrible on prices AND slow on firmware.