Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Slower Speeds then advertised SSD?

I am woundering my Mushkin 60GB SSD had advertised speeds of 285/275 Read and Write. However when I run HDTune, I get the following. Now I am running the drive in IDE in the bios, I hear about trim and running in raid 0. I can't run raid as it crashes when windows tries to load. Is there something I need to do to get the drive to work faster. Honestly the drive works awesome, windows installed in 8 mins. Photoshop installed in 2 mins, boots up from hitting the start button in less then 10 seconds.

SSD is totally foreign to me, are these acceptable speeds. I am running an amd system and trim support seems limited. Be honest I have no real understanding what it does, sorry for the newb question but can I seek more speed out of it.
Attached Images

Old December 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well first off to run raid0 you need to have 2 of the same ssd set up in the raid controller. 2 you should be running your sata ports in ahci mode to make sure trim is working this maybe why your numbers are a little low i don't have experience in the SF ssd's so i can't speak too much about them.

I just noticed your running amd i believe you have to run ms drivers to make sure trim even works on amd chipsets. t
Old December 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would be happy with those speeds.

Yeah... Raid 0 requires two identical drives... Also, like ginger says, run in ahci mode. If you installed windows with the drive set to IDE mode, you need to set your bios to ahci then do a quick registry change Guide Change from IDE to AHCI after Installation

Also, Check the info tab (or run crystaldiskinfo) to see which firmware you are running, and check mushkin's site to be sure that it is the most current version. Also check to make sure you are running the most current SATA drivers for your motherboard/chipset.

And, Try a crystaldiskmark benchmark as well and see what it reads. Remember that the advertised speeds (up to) will be the maximums, not the averages. You are getting similar speeds with your drive as I get with my Vertex 2E. Also, remember that while you are benching your OS drive, it is simultaneously running the benchmark and the OS, so your speeds will likely never hit the advertised numbers unless you bench it as a non os drive. For example, my Vertex 1 as a secondary, benchmarks just as well as my vertex2E OS drive.

CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011

Last edited by dustin1706; December 22, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old December 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I will make sure my drivers for my sata are up to date, I am defiantly happy with the speed. I am downloading the firmware now, I may have to update that. Not sure what version it is but I found out what I am running now.

Going to update the firmware now and see if those numbers are affected at all, once I change to ahci

Below is the tests I ran on the drive, I am going to change to AHCI in a few mins.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ash; December 22, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for firmware version check info on hdtune listed at the bottom. and if someone who had mentioned how to make sure trim was working on amd chipset would chime in i never run ssd on amd chpset adn when i do i have ways to manually clean said ssd ( um um intel ssd )

I think you need to run the microsoft/windows 7 ahci drivers to make sure trim is working
Old December 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have the latest firmware installed now, I just have to change it to ahci. But have to do the tweak first. I have no idea if trim is enabled at this point, but gonna do one step at a time and see if I can get it running.

Old December 22, 2010, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well I made the registry change and then rebooted. Upon reboot I went into the bios and changed from IDE to AHCI. Then when it booted up which it did without crashing this time since the change. Detected new information asked to reboot again, It actually hung the first time for some reason. Restarted it was fine, I did another test on the drive.

Read speeds are quiet abit better, write dropped a fair bit for some reason.
Attached Images