Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default The SSD Plunge - Recommend 2? Or more?

If this automatic garabage collection thing works as long as the comp sits idle, when using SSDs in a Raid, then I think it might just be the time to try 2 (or more) and raid their asses.

So, Im going to pull apart my Fractal R3 (for another build that's TBA ). The 4 x 1Tb drives will go into the first decent Raid 10 NAS I can find during the holidays (probably NCIX/Newegg Boxing day deals).

The Dell Perc 6i Raid controller will be moved into Stygian (with newly updated firmware no less) for the purpose of this SSD-Xperiment.

Ill finally get my FS thread up (yes i know ive been talking about one for months) and 50% of it revenue will be going to these SSDs. The other 50% will probably be going towards a 6990 in January, lol.

So, now the big question. Recommend me 2 or more SSDs that are: Fast (new, nothing first gen. Sandforce maybe?), Cheap (under 150 each if possible, the lower the better) and have the ITGC feature included. Small SSDs are fine, especially if theyre significantly cheaper, because ill throw them ALL into a Raid-0. Before you bandwidth nuts attack me, yes the Perc 6i is PCIe 8x, not 4x, so it'll handle however many SSDs i want before bottlenecking.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions everyone!
Old December 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OCZ Vertex 2

There on Sale at Pccyber . the 60 GB and 120 GB till 23 DEC. online or in store in MTL.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
OCZ Vertex 2

There on Sale at Pccyber . the 60 GB and 120 GB till 23 DEC. online or in store in MTL.
Arent those discontinued and have been replaced by the Vertex 2 Extended models? The price at pccyber is alright, wouldnt have to pay shipping... oh, but thats like 10 bucks from NCIX anyways, and i;d save one tax if i went that route... So not the best "extreme deal", but not a bad one either. Thanks.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg Got a Highpoint Raid in daily deals. Some one posted that it needs a heat sink on the chip to work at its best.

cheep :)
Old December 20, 2010, 08:24 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Newegg Got a Highpoint Raid in daily deals. Some one posted that it needs a heat sink on the chip to work at its best.

cheep :)
Dude, did you read my first post? I have a Perc 6i already... ?
Old December 21, 2010, 06:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Maybe 2 of these? Or 4?

NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-V 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive Retail Box - SSDSA2MP040G2R5 In Canada.
Old December 21, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

From what I have heard the Crucial C300s actually got decent "ITGC" now. I havent played much with the C300s but that is what I have heard. IIRC the 64's go for about 125-130 each. Pretty cheap actually.

IF you dont mind breaking your array and cleaning the SSDs (TRIM'ing) them from time to time the Intel's would be a good choice...BUT the 80GBs are faster and are reasonable price now (better on a per Gb than the 40s) and I would get two 80s before I got 2 40s (2x40=80 in speed...approximately as the 40s are physically limited to half the number of NAND chips on the board compared to the 80s).

When you say "new" do you mean brand new as in not used or new controller new? The vertex 1s are still very good first time drives and you can pick them up pretty cheap sometimes used. Very mature firmware, very stable, very good ITGC.

Another VERY decent option is the SSDNow V+. Aggressive ITGC, good speed (about 50 - 55mb/s 4k writes for the 120s) and backed by a great company. BUT are bit pricey (iirc the 64 go for about 170'ish). The SSDNow V (not plus model) is OK. VERY aggressive ITGC, and pretty reasonably priced...but not as fast by a long shot and would not be my first....or even 3rd choice.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ah Akg, one the guys I was hoping would give me some info! Thanks!

So ill take a look at the: C300s, Vertex 1s and SSDNow V+'s. Not too sure about the Intel 80Gb cause I'm kinda hoping to spend under $450-500 for a 4-SSD Raid 0 (I mean why not? I've got the hardware raid controller for it).

Oh, and I meant controller new - but if you say the Vertex 1s are decent I'll take a look at them and see what comes up.

Most likely I'll be buying from the Newegg/NCIX Xmas/Boxing day sales. So I've got a few days to figure it all out.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry for the double-post, just wondering what everyone thinks of the Corsair Force series:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Force Series 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD Sandforce *3 Year MFR Wrty* - CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT In Canada.

Think I remember seeing some reviews that put the 40Gig version (F40) on the top of the most of the speed charts, and its not too expensive either...
Old December 21, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I figure if your going sandforce go fullout sandfoce meaning the vertex 2 no crippled firmware. there pretty much almost all the same price