Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
IIRC, the reason so much was made of it was that seagate took wayyyyy toooo long to admit there was a problem and then to address the issue. Add the fact that the first "fix" (firmware update) ended up bricking a few drives and it's not surprising folks remember it.
They didn't take that long at all. Seagate was always aware of it and wasn't sure what was going on which is why the first firmware released bricked a few drives. It wasn't until the 2nd firmware came out that they realized what was going on and at that time they brought in the policy that if your drive became bricked they would recover data for you.
Old December 19, 2010, 09:04 AM
MVP

Default Seagate blew it .... big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
The 7200.11s have a notoriously bad reputation for being unreliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
NO they did not.

They had a bad batch in around Nov-January of 2009-2010 and that was it. It seemed to be a wide spread problem because the internet made it out to be such a HUGE deal.

People really need to read about it instead of listening to what everyone said.
Here is more reading in order to get the facts straight: The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs - MSFN
Having 2 of these drives, I followed this issue extensively and Seagate did spend considerable time burying their head in the sand and NOT dealing with the known issues. Individuals had diagnosing the issues and provided fixes long before Seagate dealt effectively with the issue. Their first firmware update to resolve the issue actually made matters worse. Forums were, for a long time, the only resource to understanding the problem, having any chance of getting ones data back, and being able to continue using the drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
IIRC, the reason so much was made of it was that seagate took wayyyyy toooo long to admit there was a problem and then to address the issue. Add the fact that the first "fix" (firmware update) ended up bricking a few drives and it's not surprising folks remember it.
drives were bricking with the original firmware and the 'fix' didn't fix the drives - even turning them into bricks when they weren't with the original firmware.
Quote:
They didn't take that long at all. Seagate was always aware of it and wasn't sure what was going on which is why the first firmware released bricked a few drives. It wasn't until the 2nd firmware came out that they realized what was going on and at that time they brought in the policy that if your drive became bricked they would recover data for you.
This isn't even close to reality imo - the problem became a big deal on the internet which FORCED Seagate into exploring the issues that MANY drives were having. Seagate was only providing this service (of data recovery) to those customers who bought RETAIL drives ... and how many do that? - compared to those of us that purchase OEM products.
Between reducing their warranty from 5 yr to 3 yr. and this fiasco, I would think WD sales soared.
Old December 19, 2010, 09:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
NO they did not.

They had a bad batch in around Nov-January of 2009-2010 and that was it. It seemed to be a wide spread problem because the internet made it out to be such a HUGE deal.

People really need to read about it instead of listening to what everyone said.
Hence I said reputation. My drives have been just fine for 4 years, like I said. But, go to Overclockers, Hard, or any other PC forum and those specific drives do get a bad rap.

A small incident can become a PR nightmare quickly with help from the internet. Especially with PC stuff, as I think the PC hardware consumers and enthusiasts are especially active and vocal on the internet. Good incentive for manufacturers to step up their custom service
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old December 20, 2010, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Hence I said reputation. My drives have been just fine for 4 years, like I said. But, go to Overclockers, Hard, or any other PC forum and those specific drives do get a bad rap.

A small incident can become a PR nightmare quickly with help from the internet. Especially with PC stuff, as I think the PC hardware consumers and enthusiasts are especially active and vocal on the internet. Good incentive for manufacturers to step up their custom service
This is exactly it.
I personally refuse to buy seagate drives as all I have ever heard in my circles are bad, bad things.
So I buy WD, they have always been good to me. Oh, and I make regular back ups of my data... >_> lol

Tags
7200.11 , hard drive , rma , seagate