Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2010, 05:55 PM
MVP

Default Intel Matrix

So I noticed it states with matrix drives can be added to a RAID array, I was wondering if I where to say go buy another 120gb V2E could I get it raided with my current without any reinstalling (if not I can image, but that gonna be a pain).

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 15, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no you will have to do a system image and then even you will have to do a system repair to get it running the raid drivers. this is what i had to do everytime but there's really no point to raiding ssd imo. 1 for an os is just as fast as it's going to be and trim is still not supported under raid so like i said for me it was pointless
Old December 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no you will have to do a system image and then even you will have to do a system repair to get it running the raid drivers. this is what i had to do everytime but there's really no point to raiding ssd imo. 1 for an os is just as fast as it's going to be and trim is still not supported under raid so like i said for me it was pointless
Onboard garbage collection, and theres a 2x increase in speeds from what iv seen.
I dont just use it for boot, I have my steam crap on it as well, and a few other things.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
1 for an os is just as fast as it's going to be and trim is still not supported under raid so like i said for me it was pointless
Trim is supported in RAID with Intel SSDs. Just throwin' it out there.

Also reinstalling is much cleaner if you want to setup something new. There are ways to work around it with imaging, but you could run into trouble.
Old December 15, 2010, 08:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post

Also reinstalling is much cleaner if you want to setup something new. There are ways to work around it with imaging, but you could run into trouble.
Yea because I want to waste money on a lower performance intel SSD, i'll stick to SF1200 based OCZs, thanks.

Might not buy one, well see.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 15, 2010, 08:42 PM
MVP

lower performing lol okie dokie
Old December 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
lower performing lol okie dokie
50,000 IOPs and 280/275 R/W vs 35,000 IOPs 250/100 R/W. For $9 less id rather have the OCZ, who is known for the cheapest and highest performance SF1200 drives. I'll call up intel if I need SLC memory, on second though no, I wont.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm pretty new to SSD's, I thought they were all around the same specs when it came down to performance...Guess I was very very wrong. Just hope mine is ok enough for a HTPC :)
Old December 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I'm pretty new to SSD's, I thought they were all around the same specs when it came down to performance...Guess I was very very wrong. Just hope mine is ok enough for a HTPC :)
I also new to them, but I do alot of research before I go buy somthing, and from what Iv noticed any SSD has a noticeably massive jump from mechanical drives in terms of performance. I have a first generation OCZ 60GB in my HTPC, and have been loving it (bearing in mind it was $300 when I got it). The crucial C300s are very impressive in larger sizes provided you have sata III, aswell.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old December 16, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

since when this is new to me cause every where i look the 9.6 due not pass on the trim command at all so please show me where you learned this cause Intel says your wrong and in real world app like games you will not be able to notice the difference in speed have run many ssd in raid not new to this and lowfat did test with his ioextreme vs raided Intel drives you can benchmark it but in the real world he seen no difference.
will try to find that thread if it's still up

here we go it was a raid scaling using the onboard raid controller so i guess what i am saying is unless your using a raid card it's not really making a difference is it and i have found many websites that say raid trim is supported but not a single thing that confirms it from intel so please show me cause they still only have the 9.6 drivers out and they do not pass it on to the ssd

RAID0 ICH10R SSD scaling comparison

I was using a pair of indilinx barefoots and guess what there almost dead because of it not complaining just telling the facts have killed barefoots and warp v2 this way and neither of them made it too warranty lol

edit and i believe this is what you think they mean when they say it supports raid it does not
Intel RAID driver adds pass-through TRIM support - The Tech Report

Last edited by gingerbee; December 16, 2010 at 07:02 AM.