Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2010, 01:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Will 2TB drives get any cheaper?

I see them currently for $90 at NCIX and I sort of want to fill my computer up with them, should I splurge now or wait till boxing day to see if they get any cheaper?
Old December 13, 2010, 02:24 PM
Banned
F@H

the seagate were 70 a week or so back if you see the wd's at that price? get a few.

so,with time, yes. regular prices, i mean. super uber smax specials for sure
Old December 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hard drives have always gotten bigger and cheaper. It's never been any different.
Old December 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They sure will. However, I think they are going to slowly decrease in price from here on in. I would be investing in them now if I needed them. Maybe a year from now they'll be $20 less :S
Old December 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
MVP
F@H

3tb drives are starting to show up so the price will fall, but probably not in a significant way between now and boxing day.

Boxing day might have them for cheap, but you're going to be having to fight with people online to get them before they sell out if they are indeed super cheap.
Old December 13, 2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
F@H

well, due to technological and manufacturing advantages, makinga 2tb now is probably as costly as making a 500gb a few years ago so pricing reflects that, to an extent.

spoke to a dude who ordered 2tb hitachi's bulk under 50 bucks a pop.
Old December 13, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well, due to technological and manufacturing advantages, makinga 2tb now is probably as costly as making a 500gb a few years ago so pricing reflects that, to an extent.

spoke to a dude who ordered 2tb hitachi's bulk under 50 bucks a pop.
Ummm....NO!

Its just as cheap to make a 250GB as a 500G as a 750GB HDD....as 750GB platters have just come out.
So nope, the 2TB do cost more than the smaller ones. With that being said I wouldnt be surprised to see them get a tad cheaper by the end of Q1 2011. A great boxing/xmas/end of the world/etc sale may pop up (at least IM hoping they do) and we see them get down to 75 bucks for the 2TB'ers from Seagate and / or WD...but I dont think they will get much below 80 -85 bucks this year.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 13, 2010, 06:12 PM
Banned
F@H

you must have your dang filter on lol. seagate was at that price earlier.

and i thought you liked wd over seagate's faillures? :) with the parking issues in mind of course.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you must have your dang filter on lol. seagate was at that price earlier.

and i thought you liked wd over seagate's faillures? :) with the parking issues in mind of course.
Seagate failures? You mean the bad run they had for a few months? That if anyone had any issues that Seagate stepped up to the plate for recovery of your data?

That is long and gone.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya dan I routinely see you pushing WD hard drives, just because of an isolated batch of HDD's from Seagate was affected. wth bro! I actually have two of the 7200.11 hard drives and they are still working fine to this day. I seem to think one of them was from the infected batch but I could be wrong, and not opening my case up for this thread! Not saying WD makes good drives but you can't ignore others if they are on sale for a nice price. I think Seagate did make a bad move, however, by dropping their Warranty from 5 years to 3 years and coincidently, right at the same time WD started offering 5 year warranty on their Black line.

For the op, if you need more storage space nowthen go ahead and buy them now. If you can wait longer, then wait because you have a better chance at getting a lower price on the same drive capacity you're looking at. That's how I see it when buying HDD's; and technically it applies to buying ANY piece of technology. Since you have a new limit on your bandwidth from you ISP, I'm guessing you could wait :)