Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Ya dan I routinely see you pushing WD hard drives, just because of an isolated batch of HDD's from Seagate was affected. wth bro! I actually have two of the 7200.11 hard drives and they are still working fine to this day. I seem to think one of them was from the infected batch but I could be wrong, and not opening my case up for this thread! Not saying WD makes good drives but you can't ignore others if they are on sale for a nice price. I think Seagate did make a bad move, however, by dropping their Warranty from 5 years to 3 years and coincidently, right at the same time WD started offering 5 year warranty on their Black line.

For the op, if you need more storage space nowthen go ahead and buy them now. If you can wait longer, then wait because you have a better chance at getting a lower price on the same drive capacity you're looking at. That's how I see it when buying HDD's; and technically it applies to buying ANY piece of technology. Since you have a new limit on your bandwidth from you ISP, I'm guessing you could wait :)
I try to not let that slow me down :P Anyways I wanted to fill my new HTPC up with 6 and mirror the data on to my external drives I have, I also have a mediasonic 4 bay usb 3.0 in my living room with 4 HD's to toss in it all from the EADS lineup and not the EARS (heard so much bad stuff about ears in enclosures, but I have one thats working pretty good in a antec enclosure on xp) So I probably will just wait till boxing day for this one, I am a WD fanboy and hope I can snatch a few of these for around $70 on boxing day, but they'll limit them to 1 per person probably :'( So now isn't a bad time to buy em I suppose...$540 for six drives hmmm...I honestly don't really need the space now so I don't think I'll jump at them quite yet.
Old December 14, 2010, 04:41 AM
Banned
F@H

dont get me wrong, i rma wd's as well. the difference being i get warnings,usually :)
Old December 14, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Seagate certainly had a BAD go of things, BUT I am impressed with how they handled it and I love their new 3TB beast (I cant wait for them to make an "official" internal version of it and get aggressive firmware and full cache!). I wish they still did offer 5yr warranty's but then again the WD Green line is only 3 yrs as well.

Oh an in case anyone is interested the latest version of WDIdle3 works on the new 3TB Green (and comes with a pretty decent pci-e x1 2 sata port card)! :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I am impress on how you guys fill theses drives. I have 2 computers at home + a WHS server. My WHS has a grand total of 2 TB and I use about 50 % of the space. Just delete the old movies !

also, my ISP has a 60 GB limit / month. I suppose it helps.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 14, 2010, 06:29 AM
Banned
F@H

if you hold a dvd iso linux archive on your drives, its bound to take a bit of space. add in the cd images as well...:)

so 3tb...are we gonna see 4tb with no more than 4 platters any time soon? :)
Old December 24, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB SATA2 32MB Cache 5900RPM 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM - ST32000542AS In Canada.

Looks like a good price to me :)
Old December 26, 2010, 10:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ya the Seagate 2TB going for $69.99 is nice, as long as you don't mind it's a LP version which is only 5900RPM instead of regular 7200RPM
Old December 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Once they get even better platter density and we can get 4tb+ disks 2tb will be like 500gb are now. Or before that happens ssd tech will become the main standard, ooh wouldn't that be nice to do away with rotating media
Old December 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
Banned
F@H

although dont current ssd drives have quite a bit of limitation on their lifespan? :) might be wrong, but what good is a 2tb ssd thats gonna be used 24/7 to hit the sack after 6-7 months?