Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

well its a shame,but since you don't need space..perhaps go for 50-60% ? :)

try mydefrag , the best free ive yet to try.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 07:59 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 49

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well its a shame,but since you don't need space..perhaps go for 50-60% ? :)

try mydefrag , the best free ive yet to try.
Drives were on some insane deal at the time and I thought I might as well. Since I don't use all the space I was thinking a 50% short stroke like you said or maybe even less.

I just used Auslogics and turned on the setting to move the files but did not see a performance change when running the benchmark:( I'm going to try mydefrag now.

Thanks :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 09:01 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

cool. with my defrag you got several settings. the daily one is ok, but if you havent defragged in a while you may want to go for weekly, or even monthly, but those will take ages. take out the ethernet cable or disable the connection, turn off antivirus etc and give it a go. if you can in safe mode too.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 49

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool. with my defrag you got several settings. the daily one is ok, but if you havent defragged in a while you may want to go for weekly, or even monthly, but those will take ages. take out the ethernet cable or disable the connection, turn off antivirus etc and give it a go. if you can in safe mode too.
Are those things that will slow it down or effect just the end result? Also I chose Data Disk Monthly because it had mentioned moving the directories of files. Plus I haven't done a defrag in about a month.

The image it generates to show your hard drive is outstanding!!! As soon as I saw it and I was zooming in finding my files looking where it was divided and stuff. Really neat stuff.

Thanks again
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

well, the slower the better. but dont do a monthly every day lol. leave it on screen saver for daily.

yeah, no worries. its pretty cool. dude could charge for it a few bucks.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 10:04 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 49

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well, the slower the better. but dont do a monthly every day lol. leave it on screen saver for daily.

yeah, no worries. its pretty cool. dude could charge for it a few bucks.
Oh god I would definitely not run this every day! And I'll try the screen saver thing. Once again this is awesome can't wait to see the end result!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

cool. unless you got lots of locked files it should be fine. the screensaver thing is killer. set it and forget it. or you could make it defrag at night for daily. but i find the screen saver better since its always doing stuff :)
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old December 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 49

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool. unless you got lots of locked files it should be fine. the screensaver thing is killer. set it and forget it. or you could make it defrag at night for daily. but i find the screen saver better since its always doing stuff :)
Both reads and writes have gone up about 20 MB/ Sec. Not bad at all
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old December 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
Realityshift's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Posts: 2,486
Default

Short Stroke + Defraging is the way to go, all you need to do is set 200gb of the drive as a partition, you can still use the rest of the drive space for storage. Defragging 200gb will obviously take less time then 1tb, if you need more room then 200gb for all your app files then add on some, but the more you add the less performance boost you will see as the drive is now having to seek further into the platters. This set up was running perfectly for me untill I went with an SSD for OS and vital apps, will never go back.
__________________
The Builders Hammer
Asrock P67 Fatal1ty, Intel i5 2500K @ 5.1ghz, 16gb HyperX 1600 CL8, Evga GTX 580 SC SLIed and water-cooled, HX850, Crucial M4 64gb, 640 black, 1tb + 3x 2tb greens, Haf X.


BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old December 3, 2010, 09:37 PM
JoshOohAh's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 49

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Short Stroke + Defraging is the way to go, all you need to do is set 200gb of the drive as a partition, you can still use the rest of the drive space for storage. Defragging 200gb will obviously take less time then 1tb, if you need more room then 200gb for all your app files then add on some, but the more you add the less performance boost you will see as the drive is now having to seek further into the platters. This set up was running perfectly for me untill I went with an SSD for OS and vital apps, will never go back.
I actually never thought of it that way. That could actually work! Thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new short circuit movie cmac79 Off Topic 9 November 19, 2010 04:48 PM
A raid of partition (short stroking) Mavvens Storage 8 October 25, 2010 12:01 AM
Can I short stroke my single HD? Sub0 Storage 10 October 3, 2009 01:20 PM
Short Stroking and RAID Questions Toronto122 Storage 16 March 22, 2009 02:46 PM
Is it possible to short stroke my winki? CMetaphor Off Topic 5 March 5, 2009 06:10 PM