Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
F@H

well its a shame,but since you don't need space..perhaps go for 50-60% ? :)

try mydefrag , the best free ive yet to try.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well its a shame,but since you don't need space..perhaps go for 50-60% ? :)

try mydefrag , the best free ive yet to try.
Drives were on some insane deal at the time and I thought I might as well. Since I don't use all the space I was thinking a 50% short stroke like you said or maybe even less.

I just used Auslogics and turned on the setting to move the files but did not see a performance change when running the benchmark:( I'm going to try mydefrag now.

Old December 2, 2010, 09:01 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. with my defrag you got several settings. the daily one is ok, but if you havent defragged in a while you may want to go for weekly, or even monthly, but those will take ages. take out the ethernet cable or disable the connection, turn off antivirus etc and give it a go. if you can in safe mode too.
Old December 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
cool. with my defrag you got several settings. the daily one is ok, but if you havent defragged in a while you may want to go for weekly, or even monthly, but those will take ages. take out the ethernet cable or disable the connection, turn off antivirus etc and give it a go. if you can in safe mode too.
Are those things that will slow it down or effect just the end result? Also I chose Data Disk Monthly because it had mentioned moving the directories of files. Plus I haven't done a defrag in about a month.

The image it generates to show your hard drive is outstanding!!! As soon as I saw it and I was zooming in finding my files looking where it was divided and stuff. Really neat stuff.

Thanks again
Old December 2, 2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
F@H

well, the slower the better. but dont do a monthly every day lol. leave it on screen saver for daily.

yeah, no worries. its pretty cool. dude could charge for it a few bucks.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
well, the slower the better. but dont do a monthly every day lol. leave it on screen saver for daily.

yeah, no worries. its pretty cool. dude could charge for it a few bucks.
Oh god I would definitely not run this every day! And I'll try the screen saver thing. Once again this is awesome can't wait to see the end result!
Old December 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. unless you got lots of locked files it should be fine. the screensaver thing is killer. set it and forget it. or you could make it defrag at night for daily. but i find the screen saver better since its always doing stuff :)
Old December 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
cool. unless you got lots of locked files it should be fine. the screensaver thing is killer. set it and forget it. or you could make it defrag at night for daily. but i find the screen saver better since its always doing stuff :)
Both reads and writes have gone up about 20 MB/ Sec. Not bad at all
Old December 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Short Stroke + Defraging is the way to go, all you need to do is set 200gb of the drive as a partition, you can still use the rest of the drive space for storage. Defragging 200gb will obviously take less time then 1tb, if you need more room then 200gb for all your app files then add on some, but the more you add the less performance boost you will see as the drive is now having to seek further into the platters. This set up was running perfectly for me untill I went with an SSD for OS and vital apps, will never go back.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Short Stroke + Defraging is the way to go, all you need to do is set 200gb of the drive as a partition, you can still use the rest of the drive space for storage. Defragging 200gb will obviously take less time then 1tb, if you need more room then 200gb for all your app files then add on some, but the more you add the less performance boost you will see as the drive is now having to seek further into the platters. This set up was running perfectly for me untill I went with an SSD for OS and vital apps, will never go back.
I actually never thought of it that way. That could actually work! Thanks