Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
Default Cannot upgrade Vertex 2 60GB Firmware

Currently using a Vertex 2 60GB SSD as a boot drive. it is using firmware 1.11 and I believe the latest is 1.24. I downloaded the SSD tool and firmware 1.24 from the OCZ web site. I followed the guide on the OCZ site too. After clicking "Download Firmware to Selected Drive", the PC reboots. once rebooted and logged in, it shows no indication that the firmware has been upgraded. Nothing invovling the SSD update tool pops up to continue either. I checked the firmware with HD Tune and it's still at 1.11.

any help guys?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 02:31 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is online now
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,396
Default

I assume you are in AHCI mode...right? If not thats your problem.
I assume you are NOT running Intel RST 10 series drivers....if you are...thats your problem. Use the older 9 series they are more stable right now anyways. ;)

The easiest, safest way to upgrade firmare is to pull the SSD and update it when its a "D" drive in a dif system.
The next safest way is via Windows repair CD.
I personally wouldnt upgrade it when its the OS drive...to many things can go wrong. ;)

This is the step by step guide on how to do it. Follow it and you should be ok.

OCZ Sandforce 1.24 Firmware update
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
Default

I don't know what AHCI is or if I'm in that mode. I also don't know what RST drivers I'm running. If upgrading the firmware isn't going to improve the speed or the life and I won't bother with it.

thank you for your help.

Last edited by Modus; November 30, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 05:14 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
I don't know what AHCI is or if I'm in that mode. I also don't know what RST drivers I'm running. If upgrading the firmware isn't going to improve the speed or the life and I won't bother with it.

thank you for your help.
if you dont know what AHCI is, then you dont have it set. You should set it in the bios before installing windows on it.

Question for AKG, what exactly does updating your firmware do?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 05:29 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is online now
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,396
Default

The firmware is the controller code (think mobo BIOS but for your SSD). It tells the controller exactly what to do and HOW to do it. For example going from 1.1 to 1.24 will make the drive more stable under certain circumstances (some people reported issues of bsods after resuming from sleep on 1.1 that went away after a firmware update). 1.1 itself added in a work around / fix to the std MS AHCI drivers issue that up until 1.1 COULD cause TRIM to not work properly on SF drives. This is just some examples of the BIG things that change from firmware revision to firmware revision. Smaller changes are things like tweaks to make it slightly faster on low end r/w (or high end, etc) and tweaks to its self cleaning routines. Where they are still ONLY at 1.24 the firmware is still fairly young and immature. As time goes by the changes from firmware revision to firmware revision will get smaller and smaller as they have refined the firmware about as far as they can (think Indlinx and 1.5 vs 1.6 firmware)...BUT for the vertex 2 that is a couple major firmware revisions away!
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 07:21 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The firmware is the controller code (think mobo BIOS but for your SSD). It tells the controller exactly what to do and HOW to do it. For example going from 1.1 to 1.24 will make the drive more stable under certain circumstances (some people reported issues of bsods after resuming from sleep on 1.1 that went away after a firmware update). 1.1 itself added in a work around / fix to the std MS AHCI drivers issue that up until 1.1 COULD cause TRIM to not work properly on SF drives. This is just some examples of the BIG things that change from firmware revision to firmware revision. Smaller changes are things like tweaks to make it slightly faster on low end r/w (or high end, etc) and tweaks to its self cleaning routines. Where they are still ONLY at 1.24 the firmware is still fairly young and immature. As time goes by the changes from firmware revision to firmware revision will get smaller and smaller as they have refined the firmware about as far as they can (think Indlinx and 1.5 vs 1.6 firmware)...BUT for the vertex 2 that is a couple major firmware revisions away!
I have the same SSD, should I update it now?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is online now
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,396
Default

What firmware do you have on it? IF its 1.23....meh. The only real dif added into 1.24 was increased stability for IOM.
IF you are running 1.1 then YES I would. Its a good idea to keep them up to date (or at the very least CLOSE to up to date). My rule of thumb for NON testbed / non review items is to update them on major firmware revision .1, .2. , .3 etc UNLESS there was a BIG bug fix in a minor firmware update (like there was in 1.23 which fixed a BSOD error on resume from sleep). YMMV but thats what I do and what I usually recommend. :)
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
What firmware do you have on it? IF its 1.23....meh. The only real dif added into 1.24 was increased stability for IOM.
IF you are running 1.1 then YES I would. Its a good idea to keep them up to date (or at the very least CLOSE to up to date). My rule of thumb for NON testbed / non review items is to update them on major firmware revision .1, .2. , .3 etc UNLESS there was a BIG bug fix in a minor firmware update (like there was in 1.23 which fixed a BSOD error on resume from sleep). YMMV but thats what I do and what I usually recommend. :)
first time using an SSD, how exactly do I check the firmware version?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 1, 2010, 05:44 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is online now
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,396
Default

There is a couple ways of doing it. All of them easy and painless.
The way I usually do it is via Crystal DiskInfo, as it displays a LOT of info on all types of SSDs (not just OCZ ones).
You can get it here:
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

For SF drives (not just OCZ branded ones) you can use OCZ Toolbox.
You can get it here:
OCZ Toolbox for Sandforce based SSD drives. (Agility2, Vertex2, Vertex2 Pro, Vertex-LE)

Hope that helps.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 1, 2010, 07:22 AM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
There is a couple ways of doing it. All of them easy and painless.
The way I usually do it is via Crystal DiskInfo, as it displays a LOT of info on all types of SSDs (not just OCZ ones).
You can get it here:
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

For SF drives (not just OCZ branded ones) you can use OCZ Toolbox.
You can get it here:
OCZ Toolbox for Sandforce based SSD drives. (Agility2, Vertex2, Vertex2 Pro, Vertex-LE)

Hope that helps.
ok thanks, I'll download CrystalDiskInfo when I get home and see what version i have.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody got the tool and firmware for OCZ Vertex FW 1275 Varroa Storage 3 November 18, 2012 02:55 PM
Vertex 2 120GB vs Vertex 1 60GB JD Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 10 August 10, 2011 03:53 PM
Just got my Vertex 60GB xXxRithxXx Storage 8 January 19, 2010 07:30 AM
60gb Vertex jay51 Storage 8 December 28, 2009 02:45 PM
Raoid 0 vertex 60GB matsta31 Storage 10 May 5, 2009 06:15 AM