Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2010, 07:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Question about mass storage

Hi Guys,

Have some questions about mass storage setups.

My questions are:
1. Are there any good 8 bay enclosures that hold only the drives + PSU (and are very quiet)?
2. Will it allow me to connect using SAS cables to a RAID card of my choice?
3. Are there any newer RAID cards comparable to the ARC-1231ML?
4. Would I be better off getting a Norco 4220 (or whatever is the new version that supports 120mm fans) and using that instead?

Currently I have a server as follows:
Pentium G9650
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
2x1GB RAM
Areca ARC-1220 w/BBU
RAID6 8x2TB WD20EADS - TLER+WDIDLE tweaked
Corsair CX430
Stacker 830
Windows Server 2008

This does the job quite nicely, BUT I feel it can be done with more elegance and less footprint. My goal is to balance mass storage, speed, and low noise.

The hard drives are all running with AAM enabled, and are all soft-mounted using Stretch Magic in the drive bay. I wanted it to saturate my gigabit network (does so no problem), yet still have lots of performance when I do mass file operations directly on the server.

I've seen these Sans Digital MobileRAID and TowerRAIDS but not quite sure how they work. The ones that have been on sale seem to have their own JMB363-type internal RAID controller and have a single eSATA port which shows the device as one big drive.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in the process of looking for either a new house or new condo. If I go house then I should have space for a rack at which point I'd get a Norco. Otherwise I'd like to find something nice and small, and those TowerRAID boxes look like they would be perfect.
Old November 29, 2010, 07:53 PM

My System Specs

The Sans Digital eSATA boxes don't have the drives show up as a single drive. They list every drive installed. They aren't very fast though, generally around 80MB/s is all I can pull out of them. The newer TR8M-BP might even work w/ ICH10R but haven't been able to confirm what port multipliers are being used in them.

You could also go for the TR8X-BP which is the SAS version of the enclosure. But they are $700. They seem to have an SFF-8088 connection so you could use any RAID card you want.

The Areaca ARC-1880ix-12 would be the RAID card you are looking for. Although it is ~$1k.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Hi Guys,

Have some questions about mass storage setups.

My questions are:
1. Are there any good 8 bay enclosures that hold only the drives + PSU (and are very quiet)?
2. Will it allow me to connect using SAS cables to a RAID card of my choice?
3. Are there any newer RAID cards comparable to the ARC-1231ML?
4. Would I be better off getting a Norco 4220 (or whatever is the new version that supports 120mm fans) and using that instead?

Currently I have a server as follows:
Pentium G9650
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
2x1GB RAM
Areca ARC-1220 w/BBU
RAID6 8x2TB WD20EADS - TLER+WDIDLE tweaked
Corsair CX430
Stacker 830
Windows Server 2008

This does the job quite nicely, BUT I feel it can be done with more elegance and less footprint. My goal is to balance mass storage, speed, and low noise.

The hard drives are all running with AAM enabled, and are all soft-mounted using Stretch Magic in the drive bay. I wanted it to saturate my gigabit network (does so no problem), yet still have lots of performance when I do mass file operations directly on the server.

I've seen these Sans Digital MobileRAID and TowerRAIDS but not quite sure how they work. The ones that have been on sale seem to have their own JMB363-type internal RAID controller and have a single eSATA port which shows the device as one big drive.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in the process of looking for either a new house or new condo. If I go house then I should have space for a rack at which point I'd get a Norco. Otherwise I'd like to find something nice and small, and those TowerRAID boxes look like they would be perfect.
stay away from the norco cases with the sas backplanes. they have tendency of dropping drives.