Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
MVP

Default SSD help

These are giving me nothing but trouble, due to lack of trim o raid I'm returining my 2x 60gb v2es, would it be worth it to get a OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 3.5in Solid State Drive, 120GB at Memory Express Computers, or a 2.5 inch 120gb v2e?

Prompt responses needed, I'm en route atm

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no ssd will support trim on raid it's because the raid drivers don't pass the trim cmd on to the ssd so it's your call. if it was me i would just buy the biggest ssd i can get. and i believe the vertex 2 have the full firmware not the slowed version
Old November 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no ssd will support trim on raid it's because the raid drivers don't pass the trim cmd on to the ssd so it's your call. if it was me i would just buy the biggest ssd i can get. and i believe the vertex 2 have the full firmware not the slowed version
Than know the Trim thing, I'm just wondering V2e 120gb 2.5 bs V2 120gb 3.5, $20 price difference. They owe me $240

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A vertex 2 120 is a vertex 2 120. No dif in performance just a dif form factor. IF you want trim and want 120GB of space AND have the coin for it...why not! :)

A single 120 Vertex2 WILL be faster than your RAID'ed 60gb drives, as the software raid you are using does introduce some overhead...though not much and the sequential speed of the raided drives WILL be higher than one 120gb'er. All depends on what you plan on using your system for (games == raid for HIGHER speed, normal day to day == one drive being faster)

IF money is tight....why not break your array, load the OS on one of the 60s and load some apps on the other? Just another suggestion.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 29, 2010, 03:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
A vertex 2 120 is a vertex 2 120. No dif in performance just a dif form factor. IF you want trim and want 120GB of space AND have the coin for it...why not! :)

A single 120 Vertex2 WILL be faster than your RAID'ed 60gb drives, as the software raid you are using does introduce some overhead...though not much and the sequential speed of the raided drives WILL be higher than one 120gb'er. All depends on what you plan on using your system for (games == raid for HIGHER speed, normal day to day == one drive being faster)

IF money is tight....why not break your array, load the OS on one of the 60s and load some apps on the other? Just another suggestion.
The lack of trim makes it out of the question ATM.

Going for the large form factor, less of a pain I the ass... But would it be hard to resale a 3.5 in ssd?

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 29, 2010, 03:41 PM

Sorry I wasnt clear. Get ONE 120GB instead of RAID'ing two 60gb'ers. I always recommend getting the largest single SSD you can afford as raid is usually not worth it. :)

Form factor of the drive is irrelevant. Same nand and same controller on the inside.
Get which ever is cheaper. You wont make your money back on going with the more expensive one when you go to sell it.

IMHO a 2.5" Vertex 2 120gb + 2.5 to 3.5" adapter plate is the same as a 3.5" Vertex 2. Its litterally just the case around the PCB that is different. ;)

EDIT
IF you break the RAID array on your 60s and use the two as separate drives...you WILL get TRIM support (assuming AHCI mode on a controller capable of passing the trim command, and your using trim enabled drivers on win 7)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 29, 2010, 03:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sorry I wasnt clear. Get ONE 120GB instead of RAID'ing two 60gb'ers. I always recommend getting the largest single SSD you can afford as raid is usually not worth it. :)

Form factor of the drive is irrelevant. Same nand and same controller on the inside.
Get which ever is cheaper. You wont make your money back on going with the more expensive one when you go to sell it.

IMHO a 2.5" Vertex 2 120gb + 2.5 to 3.5" adapter plate is the same as a 3.5" Vertex 2. Its litterally just the case around the PCB that is different. ;)

EDIT
IF you break the RAID array on your 60s and use the two as separate drives...you WILL get TRIM support (assuming AHCI mode on a controller capable of passing the trim command, and your using trim enabled drivers on win 7)
I'm thinking I'll get the 120gb 3.5 due to it fitting nicer. Thanks AKG!

Btw also wondering does a 450 make a good PhysX card? I'll be usIng it on games like metro 2033.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 29, 2010, 05:34 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Lack of TRIM + Raid is still the biggest factor why I won't buy into the SSD fad yet.

Did anyone else see my request for a chart explaining these things? Seems like more and more users like ToXiC are asking the same questions over and over, which could've been answered with said chart.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect

I'd recommend the 2.5 inch version. Rather than trying to get good value on the drive somewhere down the road, upgrade one of your laptops with it instead.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:57 AM

Sorry I didnt Cmet. BUT right now a chart for raid and trim would be a column of "NO".

RAID + SSD...is usually not worht it. Only time it CAN be worth it is IF you are running hardware raid (preferably with on baord ram and bat backup) or running a PCIE based unit like the Revo. The latency hit is too big otherwise.