Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2010, 09:06 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sorry I didnt Cmet. BUT right now a chart for raid and trim would be a column of "NO".

RAID + SSD...is usually not worht it. Only time it CAN be worth it is IF you are running hardware raid (preferably with on baord ram and bat backup) or running a PCIE based unit like the Revo. The latency hit is too big otherwise.
So like... maybe something like my Dell Perc 6/i ? Lol... Its in my fileserver for now, but if i can see higher gains from it someday down the road using 4 SSDs in raid-0, then it'll be moved to my primary system. Still though, until SSDs become as easy to use as regular hard drives (I.E. you plug them in, in any configuration, and they just work - no special tweaks, software, drivers, trim, etc) then I can't see myself or many people i know bothering to jump onboard. lol

To the OP: Sorry for the slight off-topicness. But IMO you're best best is to get the fastest single-drive SSD that you can for now (a 2.5 inch one) then throw it in your laptop with it becomes outdated.