Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Should I buy an SSD now? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/38223-should-i-buy-ssd-now.html)

bvsbutthd101 November 23, 2010 09:08 AM

Should I buy an SSD now?

ok I just got some money to buy a SSD, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Only using is it for a boot drive and apps.

Most likely I'm gonna buy this one
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

What does everyone else think, should I buy it?

matsta31 November 23, 2010 09:09 AM

what is your current boot drive ?

bvsbutthd101 November 23, 2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 453185)
what is your current boot drive ?

I'm using Western Digital Caviar Green 7200 RPM 1 TB for everything, boot drive, games, and apps
I'm gonna keep this for games, music, movies.

matsta31 November 23, 2010 09:21 AM

When you do purchase, tell me if you do see a real life difference. a year ago I changed form a WD black 640Gb to an OCZ vertex and did not see much real life difference. I am curious to see if it is different with the newer generations.

YoungMan November 23, 2010 11:06 AM

Probably because you're slow. ^ There's a huge difference.

matsta31 November 23, 2010 11:20 AM

Let me make it a bit clearer. I tought the marginal difference between the black and the SSD was not worth the 125-150 $ back then. Maybe now it is, I dont know. I am interested to see the result.

bvsbutthd101 November 23, 2010 12:16 PM

so should I get it or not?
everyone's opinion is welcome

AkG November 23, 2010 12:21 PM

I would if I was you as long as A) you can afford it B) are running in AHCI mode. If either of those are not correct then let me know and I can give you some cheaper alterntaives and / or better ones for your setup.

Going from a WD Green to a high end SandForce drive should be a VERY noticeable difference. As in "I need a cup of a coffee and a slice of pizza...by the time I get back the program will be open...hopefully" to "OMFG my mouse button has barely finished clicking the damn icon and the program is up and running!".

Even if you decide against a SSD....get a fast hdd before you kill that green. They are meant for STORAGE only and their default 8 second headparking coupled with an OS means it will die an early death.

YoungMan November 23, 2010 12:22 PM

I wouldn't consider using a PC without an SSD. I can't go back to HDD anymore.
You can walk for an hour to get to work or drive for 5 minutes. Your choice.

bvsbutthd101 November 23, 2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 453227)
I would if I was you as long as A) you can afford it B) are running in AHCI mode. If either of those are not correct then let me know and I can give you some cheaper alterntaives and / or better ones for your setup.

Going from a WD Green to a high end SandForce drive should be a VERY noticeable difference. As in "I need a cup of a coffee and a slice of pizza...by the time I get back the program will be open...hopefully" to "OMFG my mouse button has barely finished clicking the damn icon and the program is up and running!".

Even if you decide against a SSD....get a fast hdd before you kill that green. They are meant for STORAGE only and their default 8 second headparking coupled with an OS means it will die an early death.

Money isn't an issue at all, definitely gonna run it in AHCI mode otherwise it will get slow.