Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 01:20 AM
MVP

Default blu-ray for data storage?

Are blu-ray discs ok to use for backing up videos, pictures, audio, documents etc?

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old November 22, 2010, 03:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya but why are they not a little pricey? i mean wouldn't hdd's be cheaper
Old November 22, 2010, 04:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

$9 for 25GB 2x record blanks plus a burner $225
Old November 22, 2010, 04:21 PM
Rookie

You have to consider that when you go to recover the data you've backed up, the system you use will have to have a Blu-ray reader. Not every computer has one (although we are seeing them more and more). In my opinion, it makes more sense to use an external hard drive as it gives you a little more flexibility and will likely be cheaper than a Blu-ray solution.
Old November 25, 2010, 02:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I definitly agree with the external hard drive.

Seagate 2TB If you actually trust seagate, this one is quite cheap on this weak sale. 80$
WD green 2tb I swear by WD drives, 90$ in sale. I use these for file storing, very fast drives for the price.

USB 3 enclosure42$ on sale.

Docking station (USB3) $30 on sale.

USB 3.0 enclosure 37$ on sale (27$ if you take the MIR into account).

So basicly, 2TB + enclosure ~~ 130$. You won't get that kind of price/GB ratio with Blu rays..
+ on a 2TB drive with USB3.0 you can have a decently fast storage solution, with retro compatibility with older PCs (USB2.0) and you can easily erase data from the HD. You don't need to swap dozens of discs while restoring TBs of data and on the long term, 1 external HD is less space consuming than 20x50GB blu rays or 40x25GB blu rays.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:23 PM
MVP

Thanks for the suggestion guys :) I do have quite a few external HD's that I use for data storage, about 4tb worth. The reason why I'm asking about Blu-Ray is that I want a physical backup of my drives if my HD's decided to die unexpectedly! The 2tb Seagate I bought not too long ago is starting to act funny. I don't know if its part of the firmware, but the drives seems to shut it self off and then back on and windows then recognizes it again. It seems to do this every 30min or hour.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 27, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i have been using wd ear drives and i love them fast run cool and never show any weird behavior

Last edited by gingerbee; December 27, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The high cost alone of the blank media has steered me away from Blueray. Portable HD's are so cheap now, small and compact....no need to buy expensive discs!

Old December 28, 2010, 11:20 AM
Rookie

If you don't want a bunch of big enclosures taking up desk space get one of those sata docks. NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5IN SATA Hard Drive USB2.0 Docking Station - N0028USU In Canada. takes hardly any space and some even accept 2 drives at once
Old December 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Wait. You guys are saying that $2 for 25Gb is expensive? What planet are you from?
NCIX.com - Buy Optodisc BD-R 4X 25GB Silver Matte - 10PC Cake Box - OP-BD-R-4X-10-MSLV In Canada.
$20 bucks, ten 25Gb 4x speed BD-Rs.

I see where no_pulse is coming from. A Bluray data disc, in a case and hidden from direct sunlight & extreme temperatures should last indefinitely. Can the same be said about a hard drive? I don't think so, lol.