Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 12:43 AM
MVP

Default Looking for some input

Bit of a back story before I begin:
for about a year I had a hitachi 500GB drive in a vantec nexstar 3 enclosure, worked wonderfully, until one day the enclosure failed (or so I thought), go buy a new enclosure (velocity rebrand of the vantec) works fine the one time I used it, sat off in my room for another about month or so.
fast forward to last night- go to copy some music over to it for portable- Drive not being recognized (same as what happened when it was in the vantec)...no way I had failed 2 enclosures in that little timeframe- direct connect it- same issue- shows as a 0MB drive, causes posting issues.
Disconnected one of my internal hard drives when testing- no issues- WD was being seen fine. Reconnected the hitachi drive into the external enclosure, reconnected the WD that I had disconnected, booted it into a ubuntu liveCD environment, copied data over.
NOW is where the fun is beginning... boot back into windows, the WD I had just finished copying this data to has been flagged as dirty...fine...let it do a checkdisk, finishes with no issues...finish booting...and the WD drive is unreadable...
reboot- asking for another checkdisk- let it run...nothing wrong- finish boot...same issue. Run a quick surface scan with HD Tune- no issues. Download WD data lifeguard- do a quick scan- no issues, however drive is reading not available for SMART status.
I am currently attempting to use a demo of Active partition recovery as that drive has my Steam directory, and about another 400GB of data on it.

TLDR: bad hitachi drive, copy data (seemingly without issue) from hitachi drive to a WD in a linux environment, reboot into windows- and WD drive has a dirty flag that won't drop, and the partition has become unreadable