Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2010, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Default Best Bang-for-Buck SSD (120GB or under) right now

Looking to buy an SSD before the holidays. I've been so hesitant due to the price of the damn things. Any suggestions on the best bang for buck SSD right now? Should I be wary of any particular brand?

Thanks for the input and I look forward to your replies!
Old November 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OCZ Vertex 2 120gb - you should be able to find it for $200 after $30 rebate

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...onthelam7&iid=
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=44147
Old November 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
MVP

How does the Intel drive handle garbage collection is you are not in a TRIM environment?
Old November 22, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel's self-maintenance makes Sandforce's look positively AGGRESSIVE...BUT it doesn't matter as Intel has their SSD Toolbox and manual optimizer option that basically does a "manual trim" call that will clean the drive even when TRIM is not an option.

Set it up to run once a week and your drive will stay fast for the lifetime of the drive. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2010, 08:10 AM
Rookie

Default Thank you!

Thanks guys! Time to spend some money. :)
Old November 22, 2010, 09:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Intel's self-maintenance makes Sandforce's look positively AGGRESSIVE...BUT it doesn't matter as Intel has their SSD Toolbox and manual optimizer option that basically does a "manual trim" call that will clean the drive even when TRIM is not an option.

Set it up to run once a week and your drive will stay fast for the lifetime of the drive. ;)
So that is a program that comes on the CD, and it would be similar to setting up a disk defragmentation schedule?

Edit:

Also, I have heard some big things about Intels Gen 3 drives, such as prices getting cut in half. Anyone know when to expect those?
Old November 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So that is a program that comes on the CD, and it would be similar to setting up a disk defragmentation schedule?

Edit:

Also, I have heard some big things about Intels Gen 3 drives, such as prices getting cut in half. Anyone know when to expect those?
That is all rumours thus far so nobody can confirm or deny.

The Intel G2s provide great performance. I'm quite happy with my 160GB G2. Either way you can't go wrong.