Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2010, 08:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default What HDD's to get

I'm setting Raid 1 for storage of photo's and video for my photography business. I have 2 WD 2TB Blacks staring me in the face that haven't been installed because i'm having 2nd thoughts .These drives would be used for simple storage and wont have any programs on them .I was just wondering if the blacks are a little overkill . Should I go for the lower green or blue? or stay with the blacks for reliability and quality? thanks for taking a look at this.
Old November 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The WD Blacks don't RAID very well FYI. You're going to have to enable TLER, and even then they might drop out of the array fairly often.
Old November 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

thanks for the response. I did read that on the forums but also read of it not being a problem for some as well. Ive been reading for about the last 2 hours on different drives and i'm still undecided, i'm just looking for a 2TB drive that has excellent reliability ,i dont mind spending up to $160 like I did for the current WD blacks but spending $270 for the WD RE4-GP with the TLER is a little too much .
Old November 26, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a little late, I know, but in case you haven't made your decision yet... In a non-parity array like RAID1, there is no risk of a non-enterprise drive like your Blacks dropping out of the array pre-failure. RAID-level error handling protocols like TLER, CCTL and ERC are irrelevant in non-parity arrays, so that should not factor into your decision at all.

Considering this, Greens or the Cuda LP's are good storage solutions because of the low acquisition and maintenance costs. And thanks to the high-density platters on both - the reads are plenty fast for mass storage. So yeah, your Blacks are overkill. But since you already have them, no point in buying a whole new set of drives, really.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!