Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2010, 05:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Where you have an Intel SSD....their "ITGC" out and out stinks. According to your sys specs you are running on a nForce 790i mobo....which doesn't support TRIM as its controller is a shall we say "less than optimal controller" when it comes to standards compliance. This means you probably are NOT imagining things. Your drive is most likely in a degraded state.

Luckily the fix is easy. Download Intel's SSD Toolbox, and run a manual SSD optimization on it. Set up a weekly schedule so it runs once a week every week. You then should be good to go. IF you notice it getting slow run it every 3-4 days. This assumes it the newer Gen 2 X25-M and not the older gen 1. IF its an older gen 1 there are ways of fixing it but its more work. I would assume its the gen 2 as the gen 1 went EOL a nice while ago ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; November 19, 2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 19, 2010, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *

i find this is the best guide available for ssd's, and windows 7 tweaks in general
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old November 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

is there any reason why OCZ says don't use up more than 80% of the drive space?
Old November 29, 2010, 04:48 PM

The less space you leave free the less room the wear leveling algos have to work with. Basically, if you leave only say 10% of room that 10% will worked twice as hard as if you left 20% and thus the 10% free NAND cells will wear out twice as fast as they would have IF you had left 20%.

Its funny but I usually say 15-20%, other experts say 10% so I guess OCZ is just being EXTRA conservative. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 29, 2010, 04:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

thanks AkG! Always helpful, now if you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain again!

Now just out of curiosity, I'm wondering where ~5gb went to on my SSD. I've already disabled hibernation, system restore, indexing...and I know had ~12gb free on the weekend, and am suddenly down to 7.8gb free. Does this have anything to do with the extra 4gb of ram that I installed today?
Old November 29, 2010, 04:56 PM

Easiest way to find where (and what) your space is being used is SpaceMonger. Download it run it...and see.... as it could be ANYWHERE! :)

SpaceMonger

Old November 29, 2010, 05:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

aha! this program is amazing. so it turns out that pagefile.sys is taking up 8gb of my ssd!!! Did some reading, turns out i'm reading conflicting ideas that turning it on/off is a good/bad idea....any first hand experience with this file?
Old November 29, 2010, 05:28 PM

I wouldnt turn it OFF but I would set it up to run on a dif drive (say a fast HDD like a WD Black) and set it a static size. ;)

Old November 29, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

awesome. thanks AkG. that was tremendously helpful. Moved the pagesys to my old drive...and doubled my available space!
Old November 29, 2010, 06:26 PM

NP. Glad I could be of help. :)