Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2010, 01:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default High vs Mid/low end SSD

Hi, i'm new to this forum, looks great

I'm kinda newbie about SSD tech etc, and i would need your suggestion about my future SSD.

So long story in short,

What are the real world benefits of high end SSD how would one notice the difference if we don't count the benchmarks? knowing they all got very fast acces time and read times.

I got an A-DATA S596 turbo, and would like to know does it worth to swap it for,

1. OCz Vertex 2 5/60gb

2. Corsair Force 60GB

3. Crucial C300 60GB

4. Intel X25 40GB

Also from few reviews i saw and judging by Anadtech, the PC Mark Vantage overall score is one of the most real world tests you can get for an SSD. That being sad the OCZ Vertex 2 scored an impressive 36000 points in that test! also the overall write speeds are impressive so i'm thinking is that's my best bet, what do you guys think? does it worth to swap my current model with some of the higher end ones? would there be quite a difference?

My A-DATA S596 is ok for the price (95$) but im kinda turned off by its slow write speeds, i takes alot time to instal some game or program, in that segment its really slow so im looking for a replacement, but i need some help on what to pick up even tough my favorite for now is the Vertex 2.

Thanks in advance
Old November 17, 2010, 02:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just went from a Corsair S128 to a Corsair F80.
TBH I don't see anything new/fast/whatever in daily use. Yes, ATTO looks impressive now but that's it.
The only benefit (from my point of view) is that now I have TRIM and I don't need to secure erase my HDD from time to time (like it was with S128).
Old November 17, 2010, 03:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
I just went from a Corsair S128 to a Corsair F80.
TBH I don't see anything new/fast/whatever in daily use. Yes, ATTO looks impressive now but that's it.
The only benefit (from my point of view) is that now I have TRIM and I don't need to secure erase my HDD from time to time (like it was with S128).
Thanks for the replay dude, how about the time needed to instal programs and games? in that segment my current S596 sux :(
Old November 17, 2010, 05:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Install/launch time is almost the same. Installing Firefox was something like click Next - blink of on eye - click finish.
I dunno what say, maybe I'm not picky but both drives leave me almost same impression in daily use.
Old November 17, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Firefox is to small to notice any difference even comparing HDD to SSD. What i meant was bigger programs. Like: Photoshop, Arhicad, Autocad, Microsoft Office, Sony Vegas etc.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:28 AM
MVP

autocad i can somewhat answer- I've got 2x 2-25v drives in R0 on ICH10
install time for cad/revit when comparing to a 640GB black was around half, if not a bit faster (can't remember exactly, I had pre-extracted to a HDD rather than the SSD) load times for large revit/inventor files are typically under a minute (again, can't give exact, they don't like my gtx260 so im not entirely sure if that has an effect)
somewhat direct comparison is to our college "workstations" (Q8200 4GB ram, 500GB drive-might be seagates win7 pro x64) can be upwards of 2-3 minutes just for splashscreens in inventor and revit
Old November 17, 2010, 04:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the information Dragoonxx :)
Old November 19, 2010, 12:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

k lil update, its hard to play the wait game for me

Where i live is really hard to get an Vertex 2 or Corsair Force F60....

Crucial and Intel models, as well hard to find and even if i could order one they are not really good for write speed programs/games instalation which really pissed me off on the S596. So basically i'm looking for an Sandforce based disk, yes i'm picky i know. The pick would be definitely some Sandforce disks, (knowing they suite best for my needs) and have the most close read/write ratio as well as good reputation and generall quallity.

Now what i can get easy are this 2 models, others are very hard to find..

1.Patriot Inferno 60GB model - (PI60GS25SSDR)

2. A-DATA S599 64GB

Now i'm quite confused seeing most of the reviews coming with amaizing numbers behind the S599, beating even the Corsair Force and the Ocz Vertex 2

But..there are few of them who report lower scores, and inconsistent performance, and of top of that i read few Newegg users reviews who stated the same. Now in all fairness all of this drives share the same controler, yes i'm new to SSD but i learned that they should peform very similar to each other..right.

Now, i understand that firmware might be and issue or revision used in the tests, but still is this the only reason behind various performance reports?

BTW yes i know that the scores varies because of the compressable/uncompressable data used as test patern for some benchmarks software, like AS-SSD and CDM but i saw lower scores even in ATTO and HD Tune!? now im leaning toward the A-DATA S599 because its like huge 70 euros cheaper from the Patriot Inferno, but i dunno if its worth to risk and get bad revision or some of the random..lower performing units. Whats the difference from the first revision of A-DATA S599 and the second, if anyone know some info about it i would like to know...

Does Patriot Inferno series offer alot better reliability? does getting a better brand insure better unit? knowing they use same controler but different firmware, most likely used. Also there are 2 revisions of Patriot Inferno same as A-DATA S599...whats the difference for Patriot series as well? god damn it...

P.S. just look at this page for SSD disks comparation! how close is the A-DATA.. which make me even more confused, yes i compared the scores on all tests. All of the Sandforce based disks perform alomost the same, even the S599 used in the comparation is lower capacity disk 64 vs 120GB models.

OCZ Vertex 2 E 120GB 2.5 Inch / 1.23, Corsair Force F120 120GB 2.5 Inch / 1.1a, ADATA S599 64GB 2.5 Inch / 3.1.0 - SSD Comparison - SSD Reviews, Data Sheets and Comparison - ssdreview.com

OCZ Vertex 2 E 120GB 2.5 Inch / 1.23, Corsair Force F120 120GB 2.5 Inch / 1.1a, ADATA S599 64GB 2.5 Inch / 3.1.0 - SSD Comparison - SSD Reviews, Data Sheets and Comparison - ssdreview.com

And now this??

Iometer - Random Write | bit-tech.net

I mean really..

Last edited by psyside; November 19, 2010 at 01:27 AM.