Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2010, 10:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question OCZ Revo Drive 120GB PCI-E?

Is anyone running one of these in their system? If anyone has one what is your opinion? I was looking for a way to boost overall system performance - gaming is one area and photoshop will be another.

A few posts I have read further back imply some people feel that they are over priced and just not worth it at this point. Others have disagreed and state they are a worthwhile upgrade.

The Revo drive doesn't support the Trim command from what I have been reading, because it is a raid setup. How does the Revo SSD drive compensate for lack of trim command. Sorry for all the dumb questions but it has been a very long day.

I am also considering a OCZ Vertex 2 - 120GB extended drive as an alternate choice that works with the trim command.

What other options are there for upgrading my current system performance other than these SSD drives? More ram? A second WD HD?

My MB supports the Revo drive. I am running windows 7. Lots to learn on this topic. Any feedback would be appreciated. Please see system specs.
Old November 11, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

photoshop lurvs the ram. 8 gigs would make it so happy.

but I wouldn't worry about the revodrive, just hit up a vertex 2. less complicated, cheaper (I think, isn't it?) and just simpler overall.

overclock that CPU.

otherwise you're pretty set to go.
Old November 11, 2010, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, the Vertex 2 is currently $90 cheaper for the same storage because it is slower, with the same 120MB capacity.