Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2010, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD choice

Hey all, plan on upgrading my rig a little bit, want an ssd. I have heard recently that the crucial C300 series is pretty good, looking in the 120GB range. will it get the same read speeds if using sata2 as opposed to sata3?

How does it compare to the vertex 2??

any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old November 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

C300 and Vertex 2 are both Sandforce based as far as I know. So I'd expect performance to be pretty similar.

OCZ seems to have the largest community/support though. That's why I went with them and now own a Vertex 60GB and Vertex 2 120GB.
Old November 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I just went with a Vertex 2 120 and am happy with it. Went with OCZ for the reason mentioned above.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 9, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The crucial C300 uses a Marvel controller. Its very fast. I personally prefer the SF drive to it as the SF is just a tad faster on the low end compared to the Marvel (think mid to high 80s vs low 90 MB/S @ the all important 4k file size). Where the Marvel is a SATA 6gb/s enabled device you wont get all the sequential read speed when its plugged into a sata 2 port but IMHO that is not a big deal as SATA 3 ports on mobos are via controllers that (as far as I know) don't support TRIM pass through. Id easily give up a touch off the high end (where it doesn't really matter outside game load times) to get ALL my low end ALL the time.

In the end either are great choices but Id take the Vertex 2. It is a beast. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 9, 2010, 05:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Vertex 2 or wait for the new Sandforce 2000 based SSD.