Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default little help with ssd firmware

I have an OCZ vertex, with firmware 1.4

does it make sense to upgrade the firmware?

if so, how would i go about doing that? do i risk losing data (it's just the OS anyways i think, but still, dont wanna go through that).

As long as i have trimm, which i believe 1.4 supports, i am fine right?
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old November 6, 2010, 11:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I too am curious about this subject. I bought an Intel SSD just about this time last year for my laptop but have never done any kind of firmware update. I did see a bit written online about the subject a while ago, wondering if there's a lot of benefit to it and what the upgrade entails.

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 7, 2010, 02:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There are usually all the advantages listed in the release notes or changelog of the firmware. Usually worth doing as it either increases performance, solves an issue or increases longevity. But there is also a slim chance of the drive going south.

Not to be alarmist, but I have had one Indilinx Vertex brick on me during upgrade. I did my first two using the suggested upgrade procedure and the third hung and could not be recovered. Ended up with an RMA. Have many SSD's now and have only had the one upgrade issue.
Old November 7, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When you upgrade the firmware on any device...you risk bricking it. It is very unlikely but it does happen. 1.5 gives you the best of both worlds trim and "ITGC". 1.6 just further refines it. The big thing is...you can not go from 1.4 directly to 1.6. You need to flash to 1.5, reboot THEN flash from 1.5 to 1.6.

Here is where you can get 1.5 and 1.6 firmware.

downloads section

If you are running on windows 7 with the TRIM enabled 1.4 firmware (and NOT 1.41) then the benefits are only minor. BUT Id still do it every little but helps. If you are running an older OS...its a no brainer. Do it. Same with a win 7 and 1.41. I ran 1.31 (even more aggressive itgc) as it is slightly faster firmware compared to TRIM enabled firmware..BUT they also are much harder on the NAND. ;)

Only you can decide but the chances of bricking are VERY slim. YMMV but i like to keep mine up to date.
Backup your data before you do as while it should be nondestructive...its always better to be safe than sorry. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr