Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
Rookie

Default Looking for recomendations on a Blu-ray ODD

(I hope this is the right sub-forum)

I'm reaching out to the wealth of knowledge here at HWC for suggestions on a decent Blu-ray ODD that won't break the budget. I'm aiming for about the $100 range, though please tell me if I'm crazy trying to find something for this. I'd also rather not get a Blu-ray burner as that seems to horribly jack the price up, though if one can be found at a reasonable price I won't be picky. I've done some looking around and found a few things that are of interest, but I thought I'd get some other opinions first.

This is probably the favoured choice right now - Samsung x12 BD-ROM
But if any of you have anything better, please, share!

Also, I'd be happy to hear any recommendations on playback software.

Last edited by WesByNorthWest; November 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old November 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know it's a bit above your price point, but since blank BDs are less than $3 a piece now, it makes sense to use them for backing up pics and documents. They hold 25 GB and are more scratch resistant than DL DVDs.

For my personal use, I only ever use my drives for ripping my DVDs and burning my pics to a BD, but I end up burning discs of pics and vids for family all the time. I originally bough one of these and liked it so much I got a second.

NCIX.com - Buy LG BH10LS30 Bluray Writer 10X BD-R 16X DVD-RW Lightscribe SATA Retail Box - BH10LS30.AVBR10B In Canada.

EDIT: BD are less than $3 each, i fat fingered a 2 initially.

Last edited by dustin1706; November 6, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old November 6, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Btw dustin, it is in his price range, and he can get a pickup in Markham/Scarborough. Be warned though, the new NCIX stores have been pretty disorganized when it comes to web orders/pickups. Most of the time you'll get your order faster shipped from BC, at least in my experience.

On sale this week and been on sale on and off for the past few months around the $100 mark.
NCIX.com - Buy LG BH10LS30 Bluray Writer 10X BD-R 16X DVD-RW Lightscribe SATA Retail Box - BH10LS30.AVBR10B In Canada.

EDIT: and I forgot about PMing: Buy LG Electronics [BH10LS30.AVBR10B] LG BH10LS30 Bluray Writer 10X BD-R 16X DVD-RW Lightscribe SATA Retail Box
Old November 6, 2010, 03:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Good call ilya, I really wish the ALL of the on sale stuff showed the sale when browsing the store.
Old November 6, 2010, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Thank you very much for the feedback, I had taken a look at the LG Blu-Ray writer, but I didn't know the disks had dropped in price so much.

Also, is it safe for me to assume that drives come with software for playing it?
Or is there any better 3rd party stuff?
Old November 6, 2010, 06:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I accidentally lied to you (typed 2 instead of 3) about the price of BDs. in a 20 pack they work out to $2.75 each, but do come on sale from time to time. Still cheaper per GB than DL DVDs.

The drive comes with a bundle of software, the most useful being:

PowerDVD - Plays BDs
Power2Go - Burns CDs/DVDs/BDs

Also, on the disc, but must be installed manually, is the "LG toolkit" which is an automatic firmware updater which should be run to get the newest firmware. And the current lightscribe software can be downloaded from lightscribe.com

I actually bought NERO before I got these drives (then upgraded to 10HD) so I just use it for burning.