LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GUID Partition

GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sort of stoked...

Anyone know when we can expect the change? I know it's basically going to make all current motherboards that utilize the MBR bricks if you use the then current hdd's.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NONE of you know what GUID is? :P
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 6, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Oh we know about it...just most dont care (its been in MS since Vista)....YET.

I love it as it was the only easy way to get my Seagate 3TB HDD to be seen as ONE drive. ;)

When the extra beefy hard drives get cheap...more and more will learn of the benefits of GPT.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 6, 2010, 11:07 AM

My System Specs

Even Windows XP 64-bit could use GPT partitioning tables. I've been using GPT since ~ 2005 on RAID arrrays.
Old November 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Your right! I forgotten all about 64bit XP. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 6, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I know that.. I was just under the understanding that it's expected to take over FIANLLY in the next year or so..
Old November 6, 2010, 02:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I still use single 250G drives on all of my builds so it's kinda "meh" unless somebody suggests that it'll greatly improve access / write times. ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 6, 2010, 02:23 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Oh I know that.. I was just under the understanding that it's expected to take over FIANLLY in the next year or so..
With EFI enabled systems it will definitely be more useful if you want to boot from a drive larger than 2TB. But there isn't any difference in terms of performance.

And w/ SSD's growing in popularity booting from drives larger than 3TB is hardly something most people need.
Old November 7, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSDs will hit 2TB+ eventually. It is better that we be ready for them. :P