Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2010, 06:19 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Did they ever make it bootable? Haven't kept up on them TBH but the last time I checked it wasn't. :(
Nope.

They have been claiming to get their cards bootable for what... 3 years now? I have had my doubts they would ever get it bootable long before I purchased mine.
Old October 31, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
get the recently released OCZ RevoDrive x2 PCI-E ssd. It will smoke any SSD out there. AND its read only speeds will not degrade as only its writes will get slower when it is a degraded state (no TRIM)
AKG, care to explain this a little better? It seems that you don't really need TRIM with this?
Will the Revo X3 will support TRIM finally?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old November 1, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sure NP delavan. Here is the LONG version.
In a degraded state there basically is no "clean" free cells left, just "dirty" free cells left. This happens when the drive can not take care of itself. Before TRIM this was very common and it literally was upto the drive to do house cleaning BEFORE it can reuse those cells. This is what causes the slow down to happen. With trim when a file is tagged as deleted by the OS a second command to CLEAN those cells (well blocks actually) is sent along with it so that their is almost always free "clean" cells ready to be used.

Anyways, in the OPs case he doesnt care about write speed (rightly or wrongly...personally..."no comment" is all Im going to say) he just cares about READ speed. The read speed of the drive is not effected by lack of virgin free cells. The drive can read just as fast from the in use cells when the others are dirty as they are when clean (though internal house cleaning MAY take up a few cycles slowing shite down a tad at first...but it should stop doing house cleaning as soon as you USE the system so the dif is at worst extremely minor).

The RevoDrive and RevoDrive x2 (even in degraded state) have very good write speed (dont care what the OP says....writes are important) so that is a plus right there, BUT for reads they are VERY fast. Good write speed with great read speed with boot-ability with a Non-insane price tag == a winner for the OPs needs.

For MOST people the RevoDrive and x2 is a good choice BUT not a great one. No trim means most of its write speed wont be available unless you let the system idle a lot and/or take matter into your own hands and run a TONY Trim. IF OCZ gets a manual TRIM option OR TRIM firmware on those beasts they will be the drive to OWN for enthusiasts. Boot-ability + killer speed + GETTING all that speed == "must buy", hopefully one day they will get it. BUT right now neither the newer x2 nor the older revodrive supports trim pass through. I have a suspicion that the x2 with its 4 controllers (and thus twice as many channels) handles degrade states even better than the original BUT I dont have one here to test out that theory. I will see what I can do to get one for review as obviously HWC'ers DO care and want to know. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 1, 2010, 05:15 AM
Rookie

err in the future i will use all the pci exp on my mb. so there will be no space. this is interesting coz i have never thought of addin a ssd there even though i heard about the x1 ssd that ocz realised um... id lik the 60gb coz its firstly the cheapest and its within the area that i need also id lik a sata ssd. so the agility was the best bang for buck.. i do agree since it is fast and cheaper than others but wat else is there???
Old November 1, 2010, 05:44 AM

I dont what the prices are like over their but at about the 1bill range the Kingston SSDNow V gen 2 64GB is a good bang for your buck drive. Depending on what is available locally you can SOMETIMES find used Vertex 1 for 1 bill. Very good drive. If the Agility1 60Gb is about 1bill where you are its a decent option too. Ive stuck MANY of those bad boys into system as first time SSD customers introduction to SSDs.

If you can give us your budget AND some prices in your area we can tell ya which would be the "best" deal and what we would go for. Maybe Corsair or OWC or G.Skill or Patriot or AData or Crucial or WD or Samsung or Intel or etc etc are "cheaper" over there than they are here so without any frame of reference that about the best I can do as the Agility and SSDNow gen 2 are safe bets.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 2, 2010, 01:30 AM
Rookie

im in singapore so everything is imported and the price is increased. even if i buy from overseas i still need ship which ups the price. the prices here r 200+ for 60gb the 120gbs can go up to 500sgd which is a lot.. err singapore is 1.3 more than the us dollar. u can use a money converter. to match ur prices in the us.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:24 AM
Rookie

ok i got the crucial 64gb ssd for 3.0 sata. good choice???
Old November 3, 2010, 11:47 AM

Its a pretty darn good one yes. Even if you dont have a SATA 6GB/s port to fully take advantage of its sequential speed it still a very good drive. Hope you enjoy it. As an FYI if you are not planning on using windows 7 you will want to let your system idle from time to time as XP and Vista dont support TRIM. Thus the drive will need to have idle time to keep itself fast. IF you are planning on windows 7 just make sure to be running in AHCI mode with the default MS AHCI drivers or latest Intel RST drivers and you will be golden. :)

Old November 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its a pretty darn good one yes. Even if you dont have a SATA 6GB/s port to fully take advantage of its sequential speed it still a very good drive. Hope you enjoy it. As an FYI if you are not planning on using windows 7 you will want to let your system idle from time to time as XP and Vista dont support TRIM. Thus the drive will need to have idle time to keep itself fast. IF you are planning on windows 7 just make sure to be running in AHCI mode with the default MS AHCI drivers or latest Intel RST drivers and you will be golden. :)
ya i got the 3.0 sata. coz i had the ud9 and i wanted to put the dvd drive and the hdd in the 3.0 but it didnt detect it... so i feel it was wasted coz it only works in the 2.0. so im lik o.O 3.0 sata gotta get. ya i got windows 7 ultimate. so it will do fine. im so used to xp windows 7 is hard to use with the files lol. umm i will let my pc idol a lil regardless coz sometimes if i go out for a couple of hours or to go eat dinner or lunch across the road i leave it to idol coz i got my garena runnin and i dun want to leave the rooms.

the guy said that this is meant to have very fast read speeds.. so it also got my attention. btw this was cheaper than the ocz agility. wats the prices in america??

ty btw :)