Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2010, 04:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Configuration advice for XP + Sandforce?

I know, lacking TRIM the performance will degrade given Sandforce's weak self-maintenance. However, I was able to get a Vertex 2 for $14 more than a Kingston V-series and I plan to keep the drive for some time (I still have my five-year-old 80GB kicking around).

That said, I'm looking at minimizing occupation. I'll be running a HDD for data and small-footprint applications such as Firefox, but am trying to figure out the best way to set up my new SSD.

The situation is complicated by my primary hard drive needing to be RMA'd -- it's showing signs of failure and cannot pass Seatools SMART test. That pushes me into considering a temporary configuration.

Initial plan: clone existing OS/application drive, all 48GB of it (20GB is World of Warcraft), onto my 60GB Vertex 2. Probably use Acronis, since I can get a limited version free. I'd re-install but I hate the idea of losing all my settings, though my current XP install seems to be pretty bloated. File and Settings Transfer Wizard insists on copying files from my second HDD (there's a copy of Windows on a partition I've never bothered to remove) and damned if I can find settings to limit which disks it examines.

Longer term: get my main HDD back, set up it up as a partitioned drive, applications and data. Thinking about moving the Documents and Settings folders to it to reduce write cycles. Have a copy of Windows 7, but it's 64-bit, I only have 2GB of RAM, and my 650i chipset means no AHCI and therefore no TRIM -- so no point to moving to the new OS.

System specs:
E6600 OC'd to 3.2GHz
XP MCE SP3
2 GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Asus P5N-E SLI (650i chipset)

Thoughts, advice, criticism? If I'm an idiot I don't mind hearing so, as long as it includes an explanation of what I'm doing wrong (and maybe how to fix it). I've already aligned the drive and set the format to 4K allocation.

Last edited by Galcobar; October 28, 2010 at 06:13 AM.