Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default AMD and TRIM

I am curious about this folks,

For those of you using an AMD MB, what do you do to keep you SDD running at it's optimum speed ? As far as what was explained to me in most cases, AMD chipset doesn't pass the TRIM command. I am using a vertex 60. Does garbage collection work in this case, does it have to be manually done or is it done automatically ? This is a bit confusing, I am wondering if I shouldn't remove my SSD and use either a plain WD black edition or maybe a velociraptor if no maintenance of the SSD is allowed by AMD chipset.

Old October 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what I've read, I would have to say that garbage collection is used for the most part. Remember that your SSD has to be idle for garbage collection to be done and could take hours. It's also good to use it manually every once in a while. It's too bad AMDs stuff doesn't have TRIM passing yet, but I sure hope it will soon.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's only the AMD AHCI drivers that are the problem. If you're running a trim enabled OS (Win7) just make sure you're running the Microsoft default AHCI driver and trim will work (although with a slight performance penalty). This becomes problematic though if you want to run the latest versions of SSDs... apparently the Microsoft drivers don't work well with Sandforce controllers.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MS AHCI drivers are your best bet, BUT the jury is still out on it working 100% of the time like it does on Intel systems. Where you have the older Vertex 1...you are GOLDEN and it doesn't really matter whether or not TRIM is working. Your drive has great self maintenance routines and as long as your system idles from time time it can take care of its self. You don't even really need to do anything special as it kicks in PDQ (even reading a long arsed page is enough time for it to kick in and get a tiny bit done before you hit the forward / next button). No need to go back to old and slow tech like VelociRaptors! That would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Sit back, relax and enjoy the speed of your SSD and give it a chance every now and again to make sure it IS working at optimum potential. :)

Its a damn shame AMD continues to ignore this portion of its customers but hopefully one day..they will get their act together and release a trim capable driver! Best way to do this...is BUG them! If enough of their customers get on their case...they HAVE to respond and not just ignore it like they have so far. ;)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's only the AMD AHCI drivers that are the problem. If you're running a trim enabled OS (Win7) just make sure you're running the Microsoft default AHCI driver and trim will work (although with a slight performance penalty). This becomes problematic though if you want to run the latest versions of SSDs... apparently the Microsoft drivers don't work well with Sandforce controllers.
OK and how I can I make sure that I am running Microsoft default AHCI drivers ? Shouldn't this be done when setting up you rig and being asked if you have third party drivers in need of being installed(during Win7 install) ?

How can I run garbage collection manually ?

Old October 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As long as you were in AHCI mode in your BIOS when you installed win 7....it installed the MS drivers for ya. So no worries on that front.

If you want to run a manual trim all you got to do is download ocz gc tool or what was called "wiper.exe" and run it. It will trigger what is for all intents and purposes a manual ITGC to be initiated. The longer it takes to finish...the more dirty your drive was. Best time to run it is right after you reboot and your OS is finished loading all its "stuff".
You can Dl it here:OCZ Technology

Please note while it is close to 100% safe...its NOT 100%. I have only had it mess things up ONCE on me. If you are running 64bit OS its slightly higher chance of it going south than the 32bit...but like I said it only went south on me ONCE in all the times I have used it and it was as simple as run a fix mbr to get it back up and running. YMMV.

Run it once a week or 10 days'ish and you should be good. No need to run it everyday or anything...unless you are a benchmark junkie:)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I tried to run Garbage Collection and it's giving me the message that it cannot be run on any of my drives. In my bios, in my storage configuration, all my sata port are in ACHI mod but when I am looking at my HDD it says that they are IDE ? I am confused here.

BTW I remember using the AMD ACHI drivers when installing win 7 so I probably not running the proper drivers. On the other end, when with regedit I can see that SACHI is set to the value zero which means that the MS ACHI drivers are enabled.

Last edited by Wurmer; October 26, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

I wish I could grab a Vertex 1 60GB for my AMD laptop...the pricing on old Vertex is still high, sometimes higher than Vertex 2. I know it's a matter of "offer and demand".

Or I could go all out, grab a Vertex 2 120GB and swap my Vertex 120GB to use in my lappy...expensive solution...for a AMD laptop..lol
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 27, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This comes up every once and a while, here is a pritty clear post regarding the 780 chipset atleast. As SSW said, the jury is still out on each/every chipset/drive combo. It appears that as long as you're using the default MS driver and dont overinstall the AMD driver, you should get trim.

IndilinX ssd status tool. <---Hard Proof via Pictures
780G + SandForce = Need advice <---Discussion afterwords about it
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; October 27, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old November 8, 2010, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Im not sure if I should make a new thread about this but I just registered so pardon me for any mistakes.

On topic:

I'm about to buy an SSD in combination with an AMD system (785G/SB710).

Now I've read through a couple of threads concerning AMD and TRIM but most of it was advice after an SSD was bought, and I'm looking for advice prior to buying it ;)

Hence my question: am I better off buying the Crosair Nova V64 (Indilinx) or the OCZ Vertex 2 60gb 2.5" (SandFore)
(or for that matter any other drive in the same price range around 60GB)