Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI-E Solid State Drive Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/37266-ocz-revodrive-120gb-pci-e-solid-state-drive-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL October 19, 2010 07:46 PM

OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI-E Solid State Drive Review Comment Thread

OCZ has been at the forefront of the SSD market for as long as we can remember. However, the current SATA interface has constrained the performance and solid state drive manufacturers have been left scrambling for alternatives. OCZ has now turned to the PCI Express interface in order to increase performance. But has their gambit paid off?...

[ Read full article ]

Soultribunal October 19, 2010 08:08 PM

Excellent Review.

I couldn't agree with the conclusion more, this is on the cutting edge and needs a little more love and care to be worth it. I personally couldn't afford shelling out what it wants. I'd prefer a much more agressive Kingston V II to keep my SSD habits in check. THat being said, it is a very nice and unique way of doing things.

ST

Shadowmeph October 19, 2010 08:17 PM

that is a nice drive way out of my price range though hehe.
I think that the drive is basically set up for a person ( like myself) that has the PC running 24\7 which my PC sits idle pretty much over night unless of course I am torrenting .
good job with the review.

grinder October 19, 2010 11:47 PM

perfect drive for the guy who wants to win a clean-case-mod award... no need for sata cables/power cables!

performance wise it looked to be a mixed bag... conceptually let's see if this "form factor?" will gain market share. It's a paradigm in how we perceive desktop storage devices. Nice review!

Delavan October 20, 2010 02:00 AM

Nice review!

We needed a review on REVODRIVES! It seems to be really nice, but I'll pass until proper TRIM support is enabled...

bojangles October 20, 2010 06:01 AM

Sweet review AkG.

I don't really like this drive at all. It's too random to even think about buying one. Yeah it's fast but like ST said, it needs more TLC before it becomes a solid product. After reading the specifications on the second page, I was really let down by the performance numbers. It's a great concept, but it's just not there yet.

Also, is there a reason as to why we're still testing on an XP operating system? Wouldn't testing on a more recent OS perhaps change results?

AkG October 20, 2010 06:53 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate it. The RevoDrive is a beast that just needs some TLC for it to be killer choice.

A full testbed w/Win 7 upgrade is in the works. Though a bad mobo has put that plan on temporary hold. I might just skip intel x58 chipset and wait for the next gen.

The reason why I still use XP is precisely for scenarios like the revodrive. TRIM hides MANY sins. XP is a worst case scenario for SSDs. It removes TRIM from the equation and gives a good look at the real workings of the controller(s) and the pros and cons of its design. I may opt for a AMD rig as their "issues" with TRIM may just make it the NEXT gen's "worst case scenario".

aristhrottle October 20, 2010 08:56 AM

Great review. I particularly liked the degraded state test - a lot of useful information.

I've been interested in these PCI-E drives for a while. It's nice to see that they dropped within the realm of affordability.

bassplayerdave October 20, 2010 09:48 AM

"this product has the capability to be a real bard burner."
What did the poor bards do?!

Kidding, great review! Now I want one :(

BootlegUsher October 20, 2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 440624)
Thanks guys I appreciate it. The RevoDrive is a beast that just needs some TLC for it to be killer choice.

A full testbed w/Win 7 upgrade is in the works. Though a bad mobo has put that plan on temporary hold. I might just skip intel x58 chipset and wait for the next gen.

The reason why I still use XP is precisely for scenarios like the revodrive. TRIM hides MANY sins. XP is a worst case scenario for SSDs. It removes TRIM from the equation and gives a good look at the real workings of the controller(s) and the pros and cons of its design. I may opt for a AMD rig as their "issues" with TRIM may just make it the NEXT gen's "worst case scenario".

I didn't know there were AMD problems, could you elaborate?