Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
The reason why I still use XP is precisely for scenarios like the revodrive. TRIM hides MANY sins. XP is a worst case scenario for SSDs. It removes TRIM from the equation and gives a good look at the real workings of the controller(s) and the pros and cons of its design. I may opt for a AMD rig as their "issues" with TRIM may just make it the NEXT gen's "worst case scenario".
Awesome AKG! We need that kind of "no bull -REAL real world" scenarios...

I won't buy REVO until it's fully TRIM-capable (might get a 80GB or 120GB THEN). I won't go AMD (X6 eventually) platform until it gives the same SSD performance/TRIM as Intel controllers...

Thanks for letting the "audience" know what's going on!

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; October 20, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old October 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it. The RevoDrive is a beast that just needs some TLC for it to be killer choice.

A full testbed w/Win 7 upgrade is in the works. Though a bad mobo has put that plan on temporary hold. I might just skip intel x58 chipset and wait for the next gen.

The reason why I still use XP is precisely for scenarios like the revodrive. TRIM hides MANY sins. XP is a worst case scenario for SSDs. It removes TRIM from the equation and gives a good look at the real workings of the controller(s) and the pros and cons of its design. I may opt for a AMD rig as their "issues" with TRIM may just make it the NEXT gen's "worst case scenario".

Using an operating system that removes functionality is hardly beneficial to judging how a product is intended to perform within an environment it was designed for.
Old October 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

These drives are intended for more than one environment as the enthusiast community uses more than one operating system. If such a day comes that 100% of all users USE Windows 7 (for example) I will indeed consider including "easier" tests as things such as self-maintenance abilities will no longer matter. Until such a day arrives I consider it to be a much better idea to have worst case scenario numbers rather than glowy/showy "everythings perfect" numbers that you can find in most reviews. You can always ADD to results to get a good feel for how it will handle under less demanding circumstances. Its much harder to guess how bad things can get if you try to scale down.

You have to understand, how the SSD/HDD handles XP IS in and of itself a test for me. I learn just as much if not more from how it handles this handicap as I do from the synth benchmark results. Thats how I can explain and put all the test results in their proper perspective. Testing and reviewing a SSD/HDD (or anything for that matter) is more than just running a bunch of tests and pointing out how it handled itself in each.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I didn't know there were AMD problems, could you elaborate?
AMD doesnt have any AHCI drivers that support trim. So if you have an AMD board you have to use MS drivers for AHCI.

And even then nobody seems to be sure if the trim commands are passed through.
Old October 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
AMD doesnt have any AHCI drivers that support trim. So if you have an AMD board you have to use MS drivers for AHCI.

Yuppers, thats why you get a Kingston V or something with a very agressive ITGC (or whatever the acroynm is) and at least that keeps the drive almost as fast as on an intel system.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2010, 05:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post

Worse than that... the MS AHCI apparently doesn't play nice in the sandbox with the new intel controller so in that case, using the MS driver isn't an option either.

In fairness, it's not just AMD chipsets, it's all chipsets except intel. The problem is that PH IIIs motherboards only come with AMD chipsets, so SSD options are limited.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 20, 2010, 08:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Sadly...

No Crucial RealSSD C300's tested running on a SATA III bus? wa wa wee wah!? It has garbage collection AND TRIM via RST 9.6 driver... even in RAID!!!! It uses the 6Gbps Marvell controller. I'm tired of hearing about Sandforce and Indilinx. obviously not on the same scale as Marvell right now anyway.

PS, i love my Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB!!!!!!!!
Old October 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
These drives are intended for more than one environment as the enthusiast community uses more than one operating system. If such a day comes that 100% of all users USE Windows 7 (for example) I will indeed consider including "easier" tests as things such as self-maintenance abilities will no longer matter. Until such a day arrives I consider it to be a much better idea to have worst case scenario numbers rather than glowy/showy "everythings perfect" numbers that you can find in most reviews. You can always ADD to results to get a good feel for how it will handle under less demanding circumstances. Its much harder to guess how bad things can get if you try to scale down.

You have to understand, how the SSD/HDD handles XP IS in and of itself a test for me. I learn just as much if not more from how it handles this handicap as I do from the synth benchmark results. Thats how I can explain and put all the test results in their proper perspective. Testing and reviewing a SSD/HDD (or anything for that matter) is more than just running a bunch of tests and pointing out how it handled itself in each.
So how am i to ascertain how well or even if the TRIM function works on any of these drives when it's not even tested ?